Author Topic: Conversational Noise  (Read 3829 times)

doug

Conversational Noise
« on: February 03, 2001, 04:32:20 PM »
I live in a townhouse where there is a shared wall between bedrooms.  The neighbors' conversational speech can be heard as a loud murmur in our room.  The male voice is exceptionally loud and keeps us awake.  I was planning (based on reading your site) to do the following.
-Install resiliant channnel on the existing drywall and hang new drywall on the channel. I also want to use absorbent mat. Do I put absorbent mat on the existing drywall or the inside surface of the new drywall?
Is this what I want to do?  
Will the 1/8 mat be good enough?
Do I rest the new drywall on neoprene pads?
Is there any way I can ensure myself the noise is being transmitted only though the wall?
Thanks for your advice.  This web-site is very informative an is a terrific resource.
Doug

bjnash

Re: Conversational Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2001, 01:36:27 AM »
: I live in a townhouse where there is a shared wall between bedrooms.  The neighbors' conversational speech can be heard as a loud murmur in our room.  The male voice is exceptionally loud and keeps us awake.  I was planning (based on reading your site) to do the following.
: -Install resiliant channnel on the existing drywall and hang new drywall on the channel. I also want to use absorbent mat. Do I put absorbent mat on the existing drywall or the inside surface of the new drywall?
best to use both!
: Is this what I want to do?  
: Will the 1/8 mat be good enough?
: Do I rest the new drywall on neoprene pads?
: Is there any way I can ensure myself the noise is being transmitted only though the wall?
Yes to all those! The 1/8" mat would be the minimum and may not have enough effect on the low frequency sound of the male voice, I'd use thicker and/or use a layer of the mass loaded vinyl we call "flooring".
You can assure yourself by using your ears as a tuning meter!  You'd be surprised on accurate they are!

: Thanks for your advice.  This web-site is very informative an is a terrific resource.
: Doug

Andrea Fischman

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2001, 04:05:07 AM »
i have the same problem as Doug, i share a wall with a stranger and can often hear their tv at all hours of the evening. Is there a way i can put soundproofing material up without actually installing it in the inside of the wall?
Thanks, Andrea

Andrea Fischman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2001, 04:05:20 AM »
i have the same problem as Doug, i share a wall with a stranger and can often hear their tv at all hours of the evening. Is there a way i can put soundproofing material up without actually installing it in the inside of the wall?
Thanks, Andrea

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2001, 07:21:38 PM »
:  i have the same problem as Doug, i share a wall with a stranger and can often hear their tv at all hours of the evening. Is there a way i can put soundproofing material up without actually installing it in the inside of the wall?
: Thanks, Andrea
Sure, just put some soundproofing mat on the wall and cover it with paneling, curtains or just paint it.

anything