Author Topic: TV sounds loud in other rooms  (Read 2742 times)

brad

TV sounds loud in other rooms
« on: August 26, 2003, 07:01:43 AM »
Our TV in the living room sounds almost louder in out bedroom which is around a corner and down a hallway.

In a wierd way the TV dialog almost sounds better in the bedroom.

We have a big mirror across from the TV and our walls are pretty bare.  We have metal blinds on all the windows- no drapes anywhere..  Are we living in a sound refective home?  Is the mirror bouncing the sound everyewhere?

From reading your website, I bet the mirror is bad as are the metal blinds on the windows.

Boborther

Re: TV sounds loud in other rooms
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 10:10:43 PM »
Brad,

B I N G O! you hit the nail right on the head. The mirror and the hard wall surfaces are reflecting the sound, and that hallway into the bedroom is giving you a tunnel/canyon effect. That's exactly why the TV and Stereo sound better in the bedroom, it is not your ears playing tricks on you.
You'll  need to get absorbent materials on the walls and floors, things like murals, tapastries, banners, or oil paintings, sans the glass in the frame of course. These materials all work to absorb sound.
I would axe the mirror and put up a tapastry, or even better, a decorative quilt. Over stuffed furniture also works wonders for soundproofing a room. Nice thick carpeted floors work as well.
Try softening up the room with open celled foam panels. Materialssuch as  the SSP Pyramids or Weggies. These materials are excellent sound conditioners.  Brad, thanks for your posting, I sure hope this advice works for you.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything