Author Topic: Renter soundproofing against street traffic  (Read 3356 times)

Daniel Werner

Renter soundproofing against street traffic
« on: August 28, 2003, 08:57:20 PM »
Hello,

I just moved into a new LA apartment and was very glad to discover this site.

The bedroom in my new apartment has three large double-hung windows which face onto a fairly noisy local street with poor paving. The building is quite old (40's) and the windows are probably 30 years +. They don't seem to make that much of a difference when they're closed, and there are visible locations of air leakage. I'm not sure yet but I think it's interfering with my sleep.

The problem is, I'm a tenant. The manager is gradually replacing all the windows in all the buildings on the block, but even though mine is the noisiest, it's going to be the last one done!

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions short of major home renovations that I might employ to help reduce the sound coming in off the street. I was thinking of asking my manager for some heavy drapes (currently I only have very light ones in the room), and maybe an in-window A/C unit, as getting one of those would necessitate the more immediate removal of at least one of these ancient windows.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

Chris

Re: Renter soundproofing against street traffic
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 12:58:11 AM »
Use a white noise machine or one that plays nature sounds, etc.  You can buy these anywhere and they don't cost much.  Have them on all night.  There are also white noise CDs available on the internet to buy.  You could also just run a fan or air purifier all night too or have an indoor water fountain running all night.  You can wear ear plugs or rig up a window insert that you can read about on this site.  Good luck!

anything