Author Topic: conversations heard between floors in duplex  (Read 5111 times)

Cara

conversations heard between floors in duplex
« on: September 03, 2003, 10:51:15 PM »
Thanks so much for your message board. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I  rent the downstairs apartment of a duplex built in the 1920's. Recently my landlord put in wall to wall carpeting upstairs, but I can still hear everything my upstairs neighbors are saying, not to mention walking, and opening and closing of closet doors. I can live with the impact noise, but the conversations are too much. My ceiling can't go any lower, so suspended ceilings aren't an option. I have heard a few things about blowing in foam or insulation between the floors to deaden the air. Can you give me info on this option, especially if it even works for this type of noise. I'm also open to any other options you could suggest. Thanks!

Darleen

Re: conversations heard between floors in duplex
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 03:16:45 PM »
I have the same problem as you do but I live on an upper level condo and can hear the people below talking, opening & closing doors, etc.

I had the floors opened and had insulation blown in between the floors.  It did absolutely nothing.   :'(  Don't even waste your money.

I waiting for Bob to answer my e-mail about other options as well.

Good luck!!!

Boborther

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 06:28:59 PM »
Cara,

Nix the blown in cellulose, unless you need it for the thermal effect. It does not work for soundproofing. However, I do have a suggestion that will block out the conversations from above, and will only eat up about 1" of your ceiling space. A material called Mass Loaded Vinyl!  
You would staple or glue up (heavy duty contact cement) a layer of the(MLV) directly to your existing ceiling. If it is drywall, staples will due. Now if the ceiling is plaster, as may be the case with a 1920's structure, the MLV will need to be glued to the ceiling. You would caulk the seams and caulk around the perimeter of the (MLV) using an acoustical caulk. Then finally you would layer over the vinyl with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape, mud, and paint, as usual.
Cara, it's just that simple, and you will only lose about 1 inch of ceiling space. This is really the only viable option you have if ceiling space is a big concern. Keep in mind , that there is always compromise when you are soundproofing an existing structure. I hope this helps  in your quest for soundproofing Cara.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales /Technical Associate
www.soundproofing.org
boborther@soundproofing.org
Phone (760) 752-3030
Orders only!  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

C. Son

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 09:57:45 AM »
Hi Bob.  I have a question about this statement:

"Then finally you would layer over the vinyl with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape, mud, and paint, as usual."

How will the additional layer of drywall remain attached to the ceiling when there's now 2 layers of obstructions (the MLV and the original drywall above it) to get to the frame?  Do you recommend screwing the new layer through the MLV and then into the old layer?

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 11:01:51 PM »
C. Son,

Obviously you will need to hit the joists with self tapping drywall screws when adding an additional layer of drywall. The sheetrock is dense, but is not stout enough to hold merely with the screws,  the weight of another layer of drywall. You'll need  longer drywall  screws, and you will neeed to know the location of the ceiling joists, but this can be done easily with a stud finder. It's that simple C.
Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723

C. Son

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 01:53:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I should be purchasing some MLV from you very soon.

Boborther

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 10:20:47 PM »
C. Son,

I think that would be a smart move, thanks for the posting.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723

anything