Author Topic: basement help  (Read 4219 times)

A.J

basement help
« on: September 08, 2003, 01:13:43 AM »
I own a house with a basement. Most of the house is brick , except the upper level on the front only, which is sided.

Currently, the basement ceiling has  drywall and 2x10. No insulation or other sound ideas.

To keep noise going outside to a minimum, what do you recommend as some options?

I was thinking about insulating the floor with 10" of insulation, but one person told me not to do so, because that will create colder floors upstairs in the winter. True?

after insulating, perhaps vinyl or lead which should help.

then ssclips, or atleast a foam/neoprene between stud and wall.

Anyway the above ceiling will come close to the results of a fully brick house?

btw, how do you attach the vinyl on the ceiling? Is there a way to work with it over your head? Seems like a tough task....

AJ

Boborther

Re: basement help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 07:26:52 PM »
A.J.

It would be helpful to know what kinds of noise you are trying to keep from escaping your basement. If it is loud live music (R&R  band for example) then you have many options.
Are the basement walls beneath the earth, in other words are they earthen backed walls?If so, then chances are pretty good that they do not need to be soundproofed. Are there any windows in the basement, such as well windows etc? If so they will need to be dealt with as well.
A.J. if you have sufficient floor to ceiling space in the basement (8' to 10") I would definitely recommend floating the ceiling using the SSP Sound Clips. This is an excellent way of sound blocking for noise from the basement and traveling upstairs. Check out the links below to find out how to float a ceiling or wall. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

A.J

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 01:39:04 AM »
the problem to solve is the bass from dance music going throught the ceiling, then out the upstairs windows and siding. Sidind is only on the front of the house, rest is brick, not sure if bricks are solid or hallow.

yes, the basement walls are under earth for about 5 feet (raised bungalow). I am aware of the window plugs.

how well do the vinyl rolls 1/8" work? On a graph, I believe the 125hz range is reduced by10dB. That seems to be the most difficult area to block.

bte, how do people instal the vinyl on a ceiling? Is there a lift for this?

AJ

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 10:12:00 PM »
A.J.

No, no lifts that I know of, most of the people simply staple the material directly to the ceiling or walls hitting the studs and joists as often as possible. The vinyl can be stapled to the studs or the joists before the drywall is installed, but it is easier to install the MLV directly to the rock, IMHO.
A.J. the MLV will cut down the bass transmission, but at the 100- 125 Hz range, lead foil is actually a little bit better than the vinyl. Now a double layer of the MLV is always in order and would work wonders atr blocking out a lot of the low frequency sounds.
A.J. I hope this has answered your questions. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything