Author Topic: Minimizing sound on one dorm room wall  (Read 2605 times)

Shelia Phillips

Minimizing sound on one dorm room wall
« on: September 20, 2003, 12:34:35 PM »
HELP!
My daughter lives on the end room and top floor of a college dormitory.  However, she does share one wall with noisy neighbors.  This wall is made of cinder blocks and anything that we do to it would have to be removed when she moves out in the summer.  I realize it is probably not possible to soundproof the wall, but is there anything that can be done to minimize the sound?
The floor does not have carpet but is cement with vinyl tile on top of that.  We wondered if taping foam wedgies to the wall would help this problem.     Thanks.

Boborther

Re: Minimizing sound on one dorm room wall
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 11:37:06 PM »
Shelia,

You could always hang a nice thick acoustical curtain across the party wall (no pun intended). This would block out a lot of the noise, but not all of it by any means.
If you're needing some real soundproofing I would seriously consider gluing up a layer of the 1/8" thick mass loaded vinyl  (MLV) to the cement block wall between your daughter and the noisy neighbors. This would glue to your the existing concrete block wall. You'd caulk the seams and around the perimeter with an acoustical caulk, and finally layer over the MLV with a layer of 5/8" drywall. Tape , mud, and paint, and you'd be finished.
Now, Shelia, if the extra layer of drywall is not an option, then you could simply paint the vinyl with a latex or vinyl paint, and I doubt seriously that the college would even know you did anything to the wall. I have actually had customers who have used a textured wall paint or even wallpaper and covered over the vinyl.
Shelia, the bottom line is that this is a temporary situation, and you want to do this as economically and effectivelly as possible. The MLV will definitely give you the most bang for your buck. I hope this helps you. Thanks for the interesting post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything