Author Topic: Pool Pump Noise  (Read 43623 times)

Claire Nelson

Pool Pump Noise
« on: September 26, 2003, 07:31:48 PM »
I live in Florida and my neighbor's pool pump directly next to my Lanai really detracts from the quiet enjoyment I am supposed to have.  A previous neigbor enclosed it in a box (which helped), but the new neighbor took the box down because the pool pump overheated and needed to be replaced.  The neighbor claims nothing can be done to solve the noise problem. I read previous posts about pool pump and air conditioning unit enclosures and wonder if these solutions would apply here as well given the outdoor temperatures in Florida of 90+ for many months.  The pool pump runs 8+ hours every day during the day.  Your advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Boborther

Re: Pool Pump Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 11:06:03 PM »
Claire,

There are a few options, but the enclosure over the pump is always the best, you can make the enclosure in such a way as to have adequate ventilation to the pump, and many times these pool pumps are water cooled anyway, so ventilation is not a major issue.
Take a look at the link below, and  then ask your neighbor if this design for a pump cover would work for him. It provides ample ventilation, and would not be that difficult to construct. Click on the link below, and read about generators and pool pumps.
And Claire, yes we do carry the sound absorbing foams that will be adhered to the inside of the enclosure. Thanks for your interesting post, believe it or not, this is a common problem.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: support@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723

Donna Corbin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:34:59 AM »
I feel your pain. I've got a similar problem with my neighbor's pool pump/jacuzzi equipment. It is located about a foot away from the backyard fence line (fence has open slots) between the two properties. This makes it about 7 feet away from my bedroom.  I cannot sleep in my bedroom when they use the Jacuzzi at night, and during the day I hear the vibration throughout most of the house (my house is small).  Needless to say it is much worse when the windows are open. I cannot have the windows in the back of my house open without dreams of sabotaging the pump. I also hear the pump noise throughout my back yard. The only solution I can see is fencing (my neighbors think I'm crazy so getting a cover is out of the question). It was suggested I put insulation board between two tight pieces of fencing and install against the area of the fence - any suggestions for fencing? I cannot afford new windows - I have the old kind from the 1970's. I also have not been able to find a local company that is willing to give me a consultation - too small of a job.

Donna in South Florida

supersoundproofing

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:58:09 AM »
Fencing will only be partially effective- it's best to deal with the noise at the source.  See the link at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

Jodi Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
You're lucky it runs during the day and not all night.  The noise and vibrating frommy next door neighbor is keeping me up all night.  It about3:30AM and I can't sleep! :'(

eric

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 04:22:47 AM »
I have a pool with a built-in spa. Do you have any advice on how to quiet the sound on the air blower for my spa? Will the "box" work for this as well? It’s pulling a lot of air and I’m concerned that the box will restrict the air flow.

joel

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:45:28 PM »
Hello Eric.
Many people have solved the air flow problem by using two boxes (open on one end) - one inside the other.  With a maximum 3" gap between the two there is plenty of air flow, even with the SSP Mat on the inside surfaces of each box to absorb and block sound.  How this works is discussed at http://soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

This has proven very effective.
 Joel