Author Topic: NYC ceiling installer  (Read 8390 times)

Brad

NYC ceiling installer
« on: September 29, 2003, 05:37:29 PM »
I have a serious problem with impact/floor squeak noise form the apartment above me and would like some help with soundproofing the bedroom ceiling.  Due to the various fire codes that I could have to deal with I would like to get a professional to do the job and was hoping you could point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

Boborther

Re: NYC ceiling installer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 11:31:34 PM »
Brad,

I really don't have anyone in the NYC area, but basically any good drywall contractor can do this work. It is not "Rocket science", as my boss tells me on a daily basis.
You'll need to find a contractor who does what "Brad" tells him to do,  period. I
f you can't find that guy right away,  keep looking, trust me, they are out there.
Brad, give me a call if you need more help in choosing a contractor in NYC. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Avery

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 01:42:40 AM »
Hi,

I too live in NYC and have the same problem with the person who lives above me.  She wakes me up constantly when she gets home late because she leaves her shoes on and walks like a moose.  I also have a problem with the common wall I share with the people next door.   I hear everything from my neighbors. . .you name it. . . i can hear it.

I am considering just buying the materials needed and having the super in my building do the installation.  

I had a contractor come in and give me a quote of $6,000 and I would lose 3 to 6 inches of ceiling space.  The ceiling is only 8 feet high as it is.  

I am just glad I am not the only 1 with this problem.

Good luck to you  with finding peace and quiet !!

Joel

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 12:12:09 AM »
Avery,

It might be beneficial for you to make contact with the Moose in order to keep a good raport with him. The reason I say this is that oft times doing something to his apartment could be much less costly than doing a floated ceiling in your place.

I realize that floating your ceiling with the SSP sound clips will lower your ceiling nearly 3" but that is a small price to pay for the peace and tranquility a floated ceiling would provide.

Read about floating your ceiling by clicking on the links below.

Now as far as the common wall with the neighbor, I would recommend my old favorite remedy, and that would be a layer of mass loaded vinyl (MLV) stapled directly to yout drywall, or glued to plaster, the seams caulked as well are all the way around the perimeter, and finally I would recommend you layering over the (MLV) with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall. That's all it would take.
 If you have further questions please call me. Thanks Avery
Sincerely,

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

http://soundproofing.org/sales/ssp.htm

Joel
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: joel@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723

Avery

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 03:13:03 AM »
Brad,

Have you found a NYC contractor for this ?  

If so, can you forward the name ?

Thanks much!

Avery in NYC

Diane S.

aRe: NYC ceiling installer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 03:29:47 PM »
Hi Brad,

I too live in NYC (Long Island) and have a problem with impact walking sounds and squeaking from the apartment above me.  I've been through it all already, so you can feel free to ask me some advice.  First, get your managing agent to nail down any loose floor boards which should stop the unnecessary squeaking.  Make sure the person above you has carpeting and thick enough padding to absorb the impact.  And finally, try asking your managing agent for the name of a drywall contractor that they themselves use, this way you have a reliable name, and if you have any problems with the work done, you have a basis for complaints.  GOod luck in finding peace and quiet that we all so desperately need in this faced paced city!!!!!!!

Esme

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 07:54:13 PM »
Hi everyone,
I, too, live in tranquil New York City, and I have a dual problem: both footsteps (the Running of the Five-Year-Old upstairs) and very loud music (Madonna Dance Party as Interpreted by Clueless Nanny). Does a floating ceiling solve BOTH types of problems?
Thanks. Peace and quiet be with you.

Alan

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 11:46:34 PM »
Hi Brad
We live in an apartment and have a problem with noise coming from upstairs.  We would appreciate it if you would e-mail us the contact information for the contractor you found.
Thanks,
Alan

Scott Chappell

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 05:03:31 AM »
Hi all,

I'm with you...people above have hardwood, no carpet, two dogs, a cat, and no sympathy.

I'm on the garden level and have relatively low ceilings so don't want to give up ceiling height.

Sooooooooo...here we all sit wondering what to do.

I've considered putting a layer of vinyl and then another layer of sheetrock but have heard that might not work.

I'm kicking around the idea of telling my neighbor that I'll pay to have their floors redone to reduce the impact noise.  It will probably be cheaper and they'll know I'm serious when I extend that offer.

Let's exchange ideas and solutions here and consider this...what if we all approached the same contractor and offered them all of our jobs...they would surely reduce the total cost for each of us.

....please...let's share our solutions before we lose our minds.

Scott

p.s. -- I live in Jersey City...hey, don't judge.. ;)...it's the best kept secret.

Stephanie J.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 05:08:21 AM »
I live in the NYC area.  Did anyone in this thread find a contractor and/or use them with success?  I'm looking as well.  Its very expensive here.

Jonathan

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 12:39:35 AM »
I also live in NYC and because of the outrageous fee's being chaged by some contractors I will attemp to replace the sheetrock in my ceiling with the help of a contractor friend of mine,  so far I am trying to do some research on the plethora of sound proofing materials out there on the market that is of good value.

If anyone has any tips let me know otherwise I'll report back on my install goes...

Diane S.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 03:03:54 PM »
Hi all,

To everyone with this problem-- after nearly a year of investigating this and pretty much devoting all my free time to solving these terrible noise problems, I've decided that the best solution is to move.  The only exception is, of course, unless you have found a place so wonderful that you plan on living in forever -- then do the work.  Good luck to everyone -- we certainly not alone!

boborther

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »
Diane,

When you are sensitive to noise, sometimes moving is the only answer. We all wish you luck in your new "quiet" home. Thanks Diane.

Sincerely,

Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times

Anytime  (888) 942-7723

anything