Author Topic: Home cinema system thru wall  (Read 3489 times)

Paul Watkins

Home cinema system thru wall
« on: September 29, 2003, 08:53:28 PM »
My neighbour has begun using a home cinema system and there has been a dramatic increase in noise since it has been installed. The bass rumbles and other frequency noise can easily be heard above our TV etc.
They are unfortunatly hostile, selfish and insular and a polite request for a reduction in volume would probably make them turn it up!
The party wall is 4" blocks ( the unplasterd ones in the loft look preety light and porus) with a 2" to 3"cavity.
Also there is a fireplace in the room with the same next door. How do I define the entry points for the noise and then stop it.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Boborther

Re: Home cinema system thru wall
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 11:33:55 PM »
Paul,

You have a series of breaches in your wall assembly. The back to back fireplaces are the biggest problem and most likely provide the greatest path for the sound  transmission. (Especially low frequency Bass sounds)
Low frequency (bass) sound waves are longer waves and are best blocked by materials such as lead foil or lead sheeting. Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) is also effective if you cannot use lead.
 The problem in your case stems from the fact that unless you can remove the fireplace assembly in order to treat the area behind it with soundproofing agents, or are able to wall off the fireplace entirely, you are fighting an up hill soundproofing battle, and most likely one you can't win.
I think once you are able to solve the fireplace dilemma, you will be halfway home on the road to soundproofing your home.
Please feel free to call me on Monday, and we can discuss this situation in depth. Thanks for your post Paul.

Bob Orther
(The Bob Villa of Soundproofing)
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Paul Watkins

Re: Home cinema system thru wall
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 10:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply and the advice. Modem has been down, just seen it.
    It sounds ( no pun intended) like I have a difficult problem to solve. I will mail a didgi photo of the wall and fireplace see what you think.
Thanks

anything