Author Topic: How to silence child's door  (Read 2938 times)

Peter

How to silence child's door
« on: October 07, 2003, 12:18:16 AM »
Our apartment (a rental) has solid wood doors but our child's door has a section of wooden slats which allow noise to pass.  I would like to significantly reduce noice transmission through the door from the rest of the apartment (eg television, conversation, creaking floor boards).  I am considering lining the back of the door (inside our infant's room) with some type of foam.  Obviously, fire rating and toxicity will be of top concern.  I ma mildly concerned that he will eventually tear down the foam but can think of no alternatives.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boborther

Re: How to silence child's door
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 11:08:30 PM »
Peter,

You're on the right track with the foam mat.  I don't think your child will be able to rip it down or off of the door as the adhesive backing is very strong.
I would recommend the 1/2" foam with adhesive backing, it is easy to install (peel 'n' stick), and that would offer some well needed sound absorbtion and  blocking protection.
Now if the slats in the door cannot be covered, then that presents a problem, however, it sounds like you are going to cover over the open slats with the foam mat, and that should do the trick.
Peter, I hope this answers your question. There are effective soundproofing products out there, and you have found the right place to get them. Thanks for your post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!