Author Topic: Soundproofing common bedroom wall  (Read 3562 times)

Susan Z.

Soundproofing common bedroom wall
« on: October 07, 2003, 03:52:35 PM »
I have owned my townhouse condominium for almost ten years and haven't had too much trouble with noise until a new neighbor moved in who SNORES really LOUD!  I've tried drowning her out at night with nature sound CDs, but it's not working.  I have called insulation contractors, and they suggested that I get a drywall contractor to come out and take down the drywall, install a 3" rock wool bat insulation, and then put the drywall back up.  Will this work?  Is there something that would be more effective?  I'm willing to do whatever it takes to minimize the noise, but if I'm going to do something, I want it to actually WORK!

Thanks!  Susan  

Kevin

Re: Soundproofing common bedroom wall
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 06:49:25 PM »

I don't think the thermal insulation is effective in blocking sound.   If you are taking down your drywall,  you might as well use more specialized materials like soundboard or other synthatic materials.

Boborther

Re: Soundproofing common bedroom wall
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 11:15:50 PM »
Susan,

To a certain extent Kevin is correct, but there are methods of soundproofing that can be done on a common (party wall) wall that do not require removing your existing drywall. Things like applying a material called mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to your existing drywall with either an industrial stapler,  liquid nails, or contact cement. Once you have this 1/8" MLV applied to the walls (seams butted together of course) you will caulk the seams and around the perimeter of the applied vinyl with an acoustical caulking, and then you will layer over the MLV with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape, mud and paint as usual.   It's just that simple.
Now if the noise is overwhelming through the wall, you might consider using a double layer of the MLV. It will not necessarily double the soundproofing (The law of diminishing returns and all) but it will make a signifigant difference in the soundproofing capabilities of that wall assembly.
Susan, I hope this answers your questions on soundproofing a party wall. See the link below for more info on "Party Walls" ironic choice of words huh?

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
(The Bob Vila of Soundproofing)
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!