Author Topic: Need to bounce some ideas....dog issue  (Read 3224 times)

J. McKinley

Need to bounce some ideas....dog issue
« on: October 11, 2003, 08:27:41 PM »
The building: 1880's tenament in NYC. Condition is poor. Wall construction is plaster over lath/common wall in question with building next door is plaster over approx. 16" brick.  Flooring is random width hardwood planks (not joined tightly, gaps in certain places). Two windows overlook common airshaft.

The situation: Amicable but noise-sensitive Neighbor (who also works out of his apartment) in other building complained my dog barked for a consistent three hours everyday.(His windows are 5 ft away on the airshaft)  We closed the windows (and set up the old video camera), and the barking pretty much stopped.  Reviewing of the tapes reveals the dog is as noise sensitive as the Neighbor.  He still barks, but only for as long as noise is coming from the hallway.  We've spoken to all of the neighbors in Our Building, and this is really not a problem, but would like to keep everyone happy.

The resolution: Currently building a second entry door about three-feet inside our apartment to dampen hallway sounds. But have some other questions.

The Questions:  I am in the process of skimcoating the walls, and was planning on using 1/2" finished plywood on the exposed floors as cheap flooring.  Keep in mind that everything has to be removable if necessary upon move-out.  Now I'm thinking about building a metal-stud wall inside the common wall (plaster over/brick) and using the MLV/drywall combo.  Also thinking about using MLV under the plywood flooring I was planning, running continious from the new metal-stud wall.  

My concern is that this will all be a big waste due to transmission from the ceiling, and a little room-seperating stub wall that butts into the common wall.  I also think massive amounts of noise transmit through the floor.  Should I do a "full wrap" of the MLV to the ceiling and tack-up drywall over the plaster?

IS THE MLV THAT GOOD, OR IS IT JUST MY ONLY HOPE IN THIS SITUATION?

Thanks for your time!

-J

Boborther

Re: Need to bounce some ideas....dog issue
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 07:11:26 PM »
J.

The MLV is definitely as good as we say it is. A lot depends on the installation techniques and the actual construction of the building, the walls and ceilings in particular. Your plan with the  double doors is a good one, but if the complainer is in the other building, I don't see how soundproofing the floor will help.
The added wall would help as it would give you some dead air space between the new wall and the existing plaster wall, however, you also have the option of gluing the mass loaded vinyl (MLV) directly to the plastered wall. You'd caulk the seams and around the perimeter, and then I would layer over that with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape, mud and paint, and you're done. It's that simple.
J. please feel free to give me a call with any further questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing from your soon.

Bob Orther
(The Bob Vila of Soundproofing)
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!