Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Stopping "resonance" from dual pane wind  (Read 5224 times)

Tom Garvey

Stopping "resonance" from dual pane wind
« on: October 15, 2003, 04:27:42 PM »

I just replaced my old wooden single pane windows with dual pane 1/8" over 1/8" vinyl Milgards and what used to be a distant waterfall sound of rushing traffic through the old windows is now causing a kind of "resonance" thru the dual pane units- it can vary but usually sounds like a buzzing bee's nest or truck tires buzzing on a freeway.  I also notice that in general the windows seem to ring like a crystal wineglass in response to lots of noises (refrigerator running inside, weed whacker running across the street, etc.)  In many ways my old windows were actually better.  I always thought dual pane units would improve the noise, not the other way around.  I was wondering what the remedy to this is (other than getting a whole different set of windows!)

Mike Sutera

Re: Stopping "resonance" from dual pane
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 04:36:28 PM »

Sir,

I feel your pain - I replaced old single pane + storm set up w/ brand new vinyl dual windows.  Cost me approx $ 4 K for 12 new windows and thought I was smart.  The noise is now approx 2 x worse than I can ever recall.  Not sure what to recommend as I have tried and failed at a few attempts.  

I would love to hear of anyones success w/ laminated glass inserts or magna seal window inserts.

Basically, you are not going crazy.

Regards,

Michael

Gayle

.comRe: Stopping "resonance" from dual p
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:34:07 PM »

Dear Tom Garvey,
Did you install regular Milgrad windows or Milgrad "quiet line" series?

john bergstrom

Re: Stopping "resonance" from dual pane
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 02:04:48 AM »

The way to stop resonance in a window 'cavity' is the same way in a wall - add absorbtive insulation inside the cavity.  Or you can increase/decrease the mass of one of the windows to change the coincidence-frequency.  I'm not sure how practical either of these suggestions are, but those are basically the ways you can do it.