Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Re: Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation  (Read 48003 times)

agtrojan

Re: Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation
« on: February 05, 2002, 11:52:59 AM »

Sharknose,
If you combine 1" SSP Mat with 1 lb/sq ft Lead (1/64" thick) you are likely to get a rating of 33-35 STC.  This is based on noise reduction coefficient, NRC, of the SSP Closed-Cell Mat and the density of the Lead.

If you plan to put together a window plug using the SSP Mat and Lead then take into account the weight.

Scott Kelly

Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 09:42:18 PM »

I was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on soundproofing our bedroom in our newly purchased home.  Our house backs to a road that seems to have a lot of truck traffic in the mornings and it's starting to drive me nuts!  The cars you can't hear because we're a decent distance away from the road, 300-400 feet with trees separating us, but the trucks you can still hear pretty clearly in our bedroom (speed limit on road is 50mph!!!).  I'm not as worried about cost as I'm worried about the effectiveness of a solution, I don't want to waste a lot small money and time on a partial solution (meaning spending multiple small amounts of money on trial and error).  My big concern is that the back of my house is vinyl and I'm wondering if protecting the windows is enough.  When I stand in the room it really does seem that most of the sound is coming from the windows.  If the windows are most likely the big problem what solution will give me the best results (I know I can’t eliminate the sound entirely)?  Would it be to replace my windows with Milgard windows or trying those add on windows from soundproofwindows.com?  I’ve browsed around the forum and haven’t found a good solid comparison between whether adding a second window is more effective then replacing your current windows with soundproof ones.  Please let me know, and THANK YOU very much in advance for any advice you may have.

Scott Kelly
PS If you happen to have any other advice about soundproofing my room, I am all ears!!!!

chris

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 05:13:43 PM »

Hi Scott,

I have similar problems with you. My newly built house is by a very busy street (only ~45 ft away). We installed several soundproof windows from soundproofwindows.com. It does help to reduce the noise some but NOT MUCH! If I were you, I would try first to replace the existing windows with Milgard. Their prices are similar (For STC 40, about $500). of course, we need extra money for installing the Milgard ( i am not sure how much it will cost, you know?).  If it's still a problem, then try the soundproof windows. That should solve your problem entirely.

I am now in a delima because the installed soundproofwindows are still not good and I don't know if I should replace the existing windows with the Milgard.

Please let me know if you have any good news or suggestions. Good luck and have a good day!

Chris

Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 03:21:45 AM »

I got a quote from a Milgard rep for two Sound Control 7220 Series windows.  The quote was $585 each, for a window 2.5'x5' (windows were 45 STC configured, and had the low-e and grid option) I then had someone come out and they gave me a quote of $150 each for replacement cost.  So I'm looking at about $1500 to replace two windows.  

I really want to give it a try but I'm afraid that it won't make much difference.  Especially since you didn't have much luck with those soundproofwindows add on windows.  I'm worried that the windows are just the primary contributor to the sound problem, and there will only be a slight perceivable reduction in sound.  $1500 is a lot to dump out to get just a small difference in sound reduction and I don’t know if I’m ready to go to great lengths, like installing second pieces of drywall; insulating my attic furnace/venting system, to stop the noise.  I really wish someone could give me some real world results before I give this a try.

Rose

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 02:34:21 AM »

I think almost everyone has this problem.   I can really hear traffic noise all in my house in the early mornings.
I have learned to accept the noise and not get upset by it.  I also have an air purifier in our bedroom which is on all night.  It drowns out all noise from outside and keeps the air clean.  Ceiling fans and other fans also muffle sounds.  Wear ear plugs too and use a lot of fabric in your bedroom, like very heavy curtains.  I think the main thing is to accept that life is not perfect and all things considered, there are many worse problems in life.

Alan

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »

Have solved a lot of noise issues myself.  Here are some tips:

1) For soundproofing materials, see http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm

2) To soundproof windows, it's important to have different thicknesses of glass separated by as large an air space as possible.  Two panes of different-thickness glass is good; three even better.  Using laminated glass in one of or more of the glass panels even better yet.

3) Most importantly, sound will infiltrate even the smallest opening of gap anywhere in the windows or walls.  Joints and seams must be 100% sealed, no ifs, ands or buts.

Good luck.

thegov3

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 05:14:48 AM »

:) I have a similar problem to the above posts with nearby road noise coming through 4 very, very large master bedroom windows (the smallest is 6 feet by 2.5 feet). I bought the house for the fabulous panoramic view (I sit way up on a hill) but now I must suffer the road noise from down below. I have been trying to reduce the noise as much as possible over the last three years. My wife calls it a part-time hobby for me. I now have triple pane glass windows (new and expensive), combined with a single plexy glass insert using the magnet seal window system and guess what ….I am still not satisfied. The noise is way, way better than when I started with 10 year old double hung 2 pane glass windows, but it is still not OK at several frequencies. Deep bass frequencies are still not low enough to suit me. Routine car and road noise is very low, but the lower bass noises are tough to deal with. I even tried laminated glass in the old windows…and that did help...but not enough. Next up….rollershades for noise reduction at night and hopefully an end to Harley riders waking me up with a quick acceleration down the street.  >:(

Gayle

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 03:15:49 PM »

I live in Miami Beach and my aprtment is very noisey due to traffic noise, car alarms, and whizzing mopeds.  Soundproof Wndows, Inc installation will be complete in February 2005 so I will write back to let you know results.

I picked Soundproof Windows, Inc.  for three reasons,
1) Everything I read says a second pair of inside windows reduces noises much better because the airplace between the 2 windows (about 4 inches, the width of the window sill) is the key ingredient that stops noise.  This makes sense to me.
2) Soundproofwindows.com referred me to two Miami Beach customers who made these comments" I love my windows, noise reduction is signifigant, about 80%" , and , "it was the best investment I ever made".
3) I spoke to the installer named Jack , and he seems competent.

www.soundproofwindows.com  tel:877-438-7843

michael warner

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 03:44:26 PM »

Gayle,
I was looking at their web site, and there product information seemed the best.  I was just about to contact them myself when I found this.  What sort of price per window did they offer you?

Gayle

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 06:18:59 PM »

RE: Soundproofwindows.com
Three custom made windows for my bedroom for $1700, delivery 8 weeks.  Another customer of theirs said price was $2100 for 3 windows.  It depends on the size.

RE:  Milgrad Windows
I tried to order Milgrad "quiet line series vinyl windows"
to replace patio sliding glass doors in my livingroom, but they do not service Florida.  

Does anyone know a company similiar to Milgrad that
might service Florida area?

Gayle Durham

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 08:45:53 PM »

I had 3 soundproofwindows.com installed in my bedroom in Miami Beach.  I feel the noise decreased by 75%.  I now sleep soundly, when before I woke up 5 times a night to traffic noise.

The only noise I still hear is nearby car alarms.

Jack, the authorized window installer in Miami area, did a super job.   He was quick (2 1/2 hours to intall 3 windows), excellent chalking,  looks perfect.  One week later I asked Jack to adjust window so it slides easier and he was very happy to returned in 4 days and adjusted window to my complete satisfaction.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 12:39:39 AM »

Jean

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 07:51:39 AM »

I was wondering if thegov3, or anyone, ever tried the  rollershades?  If so, are they helpful at all.

Thanks,
Jean

Linda

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 02:46:42 AM »

Hi I am so thankful I found this website. I live about 20 feet from a very busy street (50mph) in california and I have dual pane window but it is still driving me nuts.

I want to install soundproof windows but worry that it would be as effective.

I have contacted Milgard, and Acoustical inc.

About Milgard, Can anyone please kindly let me know what is their series that would work. I know their quiet series is good but don't know how much it cost and if it is effective.

Acoustical inc, seems to be good beacuse I don't have to replace my current wondows but I called the number on the website and they don't manufacture that kind of window anymore. Does anyone know of similar ones? or if I could buy the acoustical windows from somewhere else?

I have a contractor and he showed bem this window made by International window and apparently it worked for people living next to freeway. Only thing is it has 4 sliding panel and it is rather costly to replace. Anyone who is interested might want to check out intlwindow.com

I really Thank anyone who can help me or give me some feedback.

THANKS again sincerely.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 03:58:59 PM »

I understand "Soundproof Windows Co" (San Jose, Ca) is opening dealerships around the country.

BJ Nash