Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Re: Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation  (Read 58098 times)

Terri Harrington

Re: Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 05:50:11 PM »

We recently purchased a house that we love - unfortunately it's close to a freeway.  I didn't think the traffic noise would bother me too much, but it is.  We moved from a very peaceful community with no traffic or neighbor noise and the adjustment has been painful.  

I've been in touch with a local soundproof window company and Soundproof Windows.  I am leaning towards Soundproof Windows (out of California) because they are interior windows that open and close like our current double-pane windows.  

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has installed these windows to hear your experience with them.  The quote I got was $2,000.00 ++ for 3 windows for our upstairs (they are each about 72" long).  I don't want to spend that kind of money only to find out that the noise reduction is minimal.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

andmur

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 03:19:42 PM »

Hey folks, here's an inexpensive treatment I did and it helps somewhat.   I bought sheets of 1/8 inch plexiglass from Home Depot ($135 for 5 60x30 sheets)
cut them to size to fit over the wood frame of my existing double hung single pane windows.  One goes on front of inside sash, the other on outside of outside (top)sash.  Screwed them in place, rand sealant around the edges.  The hardest part of the job was taking off the storm windows so I could get at the outside of the outside sash.  It does deaden the noise a bit.  As much as sounproof windows sold on internet?  I don't know, but the concept is the same and the windows still operate and the cost is about 1/15th.

Moderator:   Very Good!  The disadvantage is the fact they are cemented into place.  Making them removable is inexpensive and easy:  see the "Poor Mans Interior Windows at: http://www.soundproofing.org/magnetite_windows.htm

BJ Nash

Maria

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 11:41:24 AM »

I just ordered the soundproofing foam from soundproofing.org to install in my bedroom window (on a backer board). I live near O'Hare and I get alot of airplane noise. As soon as I am able to get it installed, I will post the results. It si for my bedroom window so the planes won't wake me up at night.

Nell

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 03:57:50 AM »

Does anyone have experience or feedback with QuietHome Windows of Quiet Solutions, Inc of Sunnyvale, CA?  They are a relatively new sound-window company and offer replacement windows similiar to Milgard but can manufacture them for a retrofit style to fit over existing frames, therefore no need to rip out the old frames.  We open and close our windows frequently for ventilation so SoundproofWindows.com would be awkward for us.  Any feedback much appreciated.  Thanks!

wendy

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 10:22:39 PM »

I've had the same problem.  We bought a condo next to a major street, (20 feet from the street).  Our bedroom and living room face the street.  Our challenge is that the previous owner enclosed the patio, so there is a HUGE window opening.  I looked into Milgard's double pane window (1/4 over 1/8) and it is supposed to have STC of 34.  I also looked at Soundproof windows and it costs the same as Milgard's double pane.  Since our old windows are ugly anyways, I spent about 3000 replacing our existing ones with Milgards.  The noise is definitely muffled a LOT, especially in the living room, but the bedroom is still pretty loud, probably because we have a retrofit window.  

So now after spending 3000 and still not satisfied.  I'm thinking about spending 700 to just add soundproof type of windows in my bedroom.  My milgard dealer told me that they have this window named Quiet Windows, that does exactly what Soundproof windows does, but this company only sells to dealers (in Long beach).  Guess what I found out, Soundproof window used to be one of their dealers!  And the guy told me they had a fallen out.  So anyways, this company actually charges less than soundproof windows.  For the same window, soundproof charges 688 not including installation, and my dealer will install the window for 700.  So I'll rather spend 700 dollars to have someone else install my window.  

If you are interested, call and see if he has dealers in  your area.  (562) 435 2220

Wendy

supersoundproofing

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 11:18:07 PM »

There are options in sound control for windows!
http://soundproofing.org/infopages/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm

BJ Nash

Dan Wilson

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 07:53:06 PM »

Does anyone have experience with Simonton storm breaker plus? Very expensive, but they are built like a tank. I'm in the same boat as everyone, I'll be very unhappy is a costly window replacement does not satisfactorally reduce audio.

They are good for hurricane protection which is a bonus as I live in FL

Susie Russo

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 04:14:06 PM »

Tony, I too live in Florida and other than soundproofwindows.com have not been able to find any window dealer who deals with soundproof windows!

jaspar

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »

Thanks for this forum, it has been very helpfull with a problem I have in Francis Street Yarraville. Australia.
Possibly the worlds worst truck problem with12,000 trucks a day going past.
Check this out for some details.
http://www.mtag.org.au/

Thanks again.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 04:33:35 AM »

SuzannaR

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 08:01:12 PM »

Gayle Durham, could you contact me at my email address, I live in Miami and would like to hear your recommendation on Jack & soundproofwindows.

Scott

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »

Live close to a busy street, the previous owners installed smaller windows in the bedrooms so the noise has been reduced quite a bit. But there is a large double pane picture window in the living room.  The window doesn't open so I'm thinking of putting a 3/8 or 1/2 inch piece of acrylic on the inside of the window with about a 2 1/2 inch airspace. Then either securing it with clips and magnetic tap or caulking.  Does anyone have any experience with this sort of handyman solution?
Thanks in advance.

Try
http://soundproofing.org/infopages/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm

Mark P

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »

I am happy I found this site. It proves to my wife that I am not the only one with these issues. Here's what we have done.

We recently purchased a house that we love, but it overlooks the freeway. I thought the freeway noise wouldn't bother me but it really does. We live in Oakland, CA and have been working with Bay Area Noise Control who specialize in residential noise reduction. They have relaced 8 windows and a sliding glass door with Millgard QuietLine windows. For the sliding glass door they also built and additional frame and intalled a second 1/4" sliding door in front of it (creating a dual sliding door).

The reduction in noise from these QuietLine windows has been signficant. They rate the QuietLine at 42-47 STC and the double sliding door at around 50 STC, so there has been a marked improvement over the cheap 1980s aluminum dual panes we had before. It hasn't been cheap (about $20,000 so far) but has been worth it.

Worth noting that sound will leak in from anywhere, so one thing you need to be careful of is how the gaps around the windows are filled. They stuffed mass loaded vinyl into the gaps then sealed them with acoustical caulk. A normal installer may just spray foam into the gaps, which will just leak in noise and negate any STC reduction you got from the windows.

That said, I am still bothered by low-frequency noise, particularly motorcyle or truck downshfiting or rev-ing (the freeway is on an incline so we get a lot of rev-ing as vehicles head uphill). I am considering building inserts for the windows out of mass loaded vinyl sheeting and QuietRock drywall. Also considering re-drywalling the room with QuietRock. Anyone had experience with either of these products?

Thanks in advance.

Spagaro

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 05:03:59 PM »

I am in the process of replacing some windows in my house for soundproofing.

I have single panes with aluminum frames and live very close to the railroad, a quite busy street that runs right next to one of the busiest highways in Amercia (Hwy 5 in California).

Since I would like to achive sound-proofing first I am thinking to start by adding first an additonal set of windows like soundproof.com, and then if my budget permits, I will replace the existing single pane windows.

Is this a good strategy?

I guess I will try to get a quote from soundproofwindows.com, soundproofwindows.org, and the person from Long Beach. I will keep you posted about the price difference!

SuzannaR

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 07:02:44 PM »

Finally got my soundproofwindows.com installed.  Unfortunately, I am not very impressed with their performance.  I would say they muffle about 25% of the incoming noise.