Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Re: Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation  (Read 56682 times)

mjm9813

Re: Traffic Noise/Window Recommendation
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »

I have a 72x58 window in my bedroom, with a loud street directly behind it. I have researched all the websites regarding soundproofing. I think I am pretty set on adding a second window, 2 inches from the existing window, to block the noise. Instead of paying $1000+ for one of these companies to come out and install a second window, why don't i just go to home depot and buy a second window for $200 and install it myself. I guess my question has to do with why use soundproof.org's or whoever's product verses just going to get a second window from a hardware store.

Thanks

caugas

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »

Finally got my soundproofwindows.com installed.  Unfortunately, I am not very impressed with their performance.  I would say they muffle about 25% of the incoming noise.

Thanks SuzanneR, I was looking for someone to give an accurate depiction of how the soundproofwindows.com performed. If you go to their web site, they have these testimonals http://Http://www.soundproofwindows.com/customer_comments_general_01.html and as they sound ok, I don't see WOW THE ARE AWESOME AND I AM READY TO BUY STOCK IN THE COMPANY.

I found this message board. I have just bought a condo in MA on a busy street.  I am located about 50 ft from the street, and hear lots of noise mainly buses and loud engines.  I knew that when I purchased the condo that I would have to get use to the noise. However, I seems that I am now fixed ON the noise problem and have had new levels of stress and anxiety.  I have been researching what do do for nearly one week. I am on the verge to trying the soundproofwindow.com because I have double pain harvey windows already and if I install the spw.com windows over the pre-exsisting windows it will give me almost 4.5 inches of space glass (old) to glass (new).  From my research on their site, they say this is optimium.  However, a piece of me feels as if they are a snake oil medicine show, trying to pray on needy victims whom are so desperate they are will to try anything.  

Does anyone have a very positive thing to say about soundproofingwindows.com??? I mean, is anyone completely satisfied? Is the difference remarkable like there website says?

If this does not work I am going to sell my place.

Caugas,

Quincy MA

mjm9813

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »

Although I can not attest to the performance of "Sound Proof Windows", I just installed a 2nd window behind my existing window that I bought from home depot. Once it was completely sealed the noise from the street behind me was reduced greatly. I definately recomend adding a second window...thats the way to go!

pamela

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:24 AM »

mjm, could you give more details as to how you did this?  Is the new window on the inside or the outside of the existing one?  What kind of window is it, ie double hung?

I'm not handy, and would appreciate any advice!

Thanks.

mjm9813

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 07:28:43 PM »

Pamela, the existing exterior window is a double hung 72 X 58 single panel. I purchased 1 horizonal slider 72 x 58 dual panel from Home depot and placed it on the interior side behind the existing window. The new window was about 2 1/2 inches deep so it left about a 1 inch gap between the new and existing window. I added a few shims to line it up and get it square, then put about 5 screws in it. Once it was secured, I used expandable foam spray  (I do not recall the brand, but can be found on the paint isle at homedepot) to air tight seal the gap around the new window. Once it expanded and cured, I cleaned it up and put the blinds and curtains back up. Shoot me an e-mail at mjm9813@yahoo.com and I have a small picture of the new window. The whole project took about an hour and cost $250 for the window. Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Matt

SharkNose

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 01:40:48 AM »

Hey, Administrator! How about a window plug made with the foam material and 1/32" lead sheeting?

What kind of STC rating would that produce?

SharkNose

joel

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »

Hello Scott,

Replacement windows from Milgard is the best place to start.  On the "sound control through windows" link this option is listed as #1 because it is the most effective.  See http://soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm

The reply by Alan (5/11/04) below is simple and complete.

If your walls are also a problem, the easiest way to stop the mixed frequency sound/noise from the traffic is to use a layer of Green Glue sandwiched between a second layer of dry wall (1/2" is OK for second dry wall layer).  This will give you at least 56-61 STC, depending on the starting STC of the existing exterior wall.  The best part is it will lower the resonant frequency of the wall and block even low, low frequency noise/sound from coming into your room.  For Green Glue info see http://www.greenglue.org/ggsoundproofing.html

Joel

chemsing

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 08:42:33 PM »

I've enjoyed reading the messages on this site.  I don't have a major noise problem, but I'm considering replacing my VERY cheap windows with something better and I am looking for recommendations.  Has anyone tried Loewen's Tranquility Series windows?  Their casement windows test our at STC40.  

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 09:19:14 PM »

Except for non-operable, permanently sealed units, casement windows tend to be the best at deadening sound.  They close up the tightest.

STC 40 is excellent.  If they're reasonable in price, I say go for it.

gugy

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 07:30:32 PM »

Ok, after reading all this posts I am still confused by the idea if the Soundproofwindows.com really work or not. I am planning to purchase them but I am very concern about doing so. It's a good chunk of money! :-/

I had the gentleman from Bay Area Noise Control here at my house. He was very knowledgeable and nice guy but his cost to install and the windows is above $9k for 7 windows and one door. Is very high in my opinion since ordering direct from Soundproofwindows.com is $3k without installation. I can't justify paying almost $6k more just for the sake of installation.

I am very worried so I would love to have a sincere statement from you guys that have these windows at your home so I can make an educate decision about it.
I read here that some you like it and others don't saying that it solved only 25% of the noise problem. If I am spending this money I would expect at least 75% or more noise reduction.

As few of you stated I also live close (60 feet) to a busy street with lots of traffic in the morning with cars and trucks.

Also I want to thank this forum. Very nice information. Cheers for the good work. :)
All the best.

wav3form

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 03:34:16 AM »

Be careful, just about none of the BS works.  I have a busy street in front of my house too and none of these soundproofing windows or anything works.  The noise is too sporadic for them to be effective.  If it was constant highway drone, they'd work.   Other than completely sealing off the windows, you're not going to be happy.  I'm selling my house to live in a quieter area.