Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: solution for floor-to-ceiling windows?  (Read 3650 times)

jack

solution for floor-to-ceiling windows?
« on: October 26, 2003, 12:19:46 PM »

I live in a condo with two large floor-to-ceiling windows (maybe 10 feet) and a large glass balcony door that face a train station.  The windows seem to be double-paned and reduce the sound considerably, but I'm still finding the humming/droning of trains waiting to be boarded intrusive.

What solution would you recommend for this situation?

Do you know of any acoustical contractors in Chicago (ones experienced with soundproofing windows)?

Boborther

Re: solution for floor-to-ceiling windows?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 10:25:22 PM »

Jack,

Those are some seriously large windows you have and I don't really think that a window plug would be feasible in this case.
You have only  two other choices, as far as I can see, and neither will be cheap.
One would be to order some Magnet Seal window inserts for the large windows. 10 foot windows could be pretty pricy as they would need to be custom made. Now, that being said, the Magnet Seal window inserts would be much cheaper than installing new Mil Gard or Sound Guard replacement windows.
The same would be true for the balcony door. There is no real cheap method for soundproofing such large units. I wish I could offer you more help, but hopefully this will give you some idea of what you are up against. Thanks for the post Jack.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
(The Bob Vila of Soundproofing)
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!