Author Topic: duplex common wall  (Read 4117 times)

patty fallon

duplex common wall
« on: October 29, 2003, 11:06:58 PM »
I own a 2 family (side by side) that was built in 1920's.  Inbetween the 2 units is cinderblocks from the basement to the attic.  I can barely hear voices but I can hear doors opening and closing along with squeaky hardwood floors as if they were in my unit.  The common wall between us it in kitchen, bathroom, hallway, stairway and closet.  So, there is many rooms involved.  I think the most noise comes from the stairway that is 2 stores high.  The stairway is already thin so there is not much room to use.  Also, there is no studs or drywall that I know of.  It seems like cinderblocks and plaster and paint.  
Can you give me some advice?
Thanks.
Patty

Boborther

Re: duplex common wall
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 11:48:36 PM »
Patty,

I think I would simply glue up a layer of the mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to your existing plaster walls, you'd caulk the seams and around the perimeter, and finally you would layer over the MLV with a layer of 5/8" drywall using masonry scews that will penetrate the cinder block. There are other methods, but this would be the quickest and most likely the most effective method, and you'd get the most bang for your buck with the MLV.
I hope this answers your question Patty, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to call.
Sincerely,

Bob Orther
(The Bob Vila of Soundproofing)
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

David

Re: duplex common wall
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 11:23:03 PM »
How much am I losing by installing mlv without covering it with drywall?