Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! Noisy Common Wall in New Townhome  (Read 9294 times)

Kimberly Ward

PLEASE HELP! Noisy Common Wall in New Townhome
« on: November 04, 2003, 10:37:03 PM »
Hello,
Maybe someone can answer my problem.  Let me tell you my story.  I am 23 years old and I am a single person working at a Home Improvement store.  I am not stupid when it comes to construction of houses.  When I wanted to purchase my first house I was extreemly excited.  Because I am not indepenantly wealthy, I decided to buy a townhouse in a fast growing city.  I am single so a small place was perfect.  Before commiting to buy I asked several questions pertaining to the common wall and how much noise could be heard.  I was assured by the builder that there was little to no noise that I would be able to hear.  I even talked to neighbors and asked them if they had any problems and they said no.  After commiting to buy and finding the perfect floorplan they begain to build my house.  Three weeks later they begain building the one house that is connected to me.  To my discust they were building the floor plan of the house that had its livingroom wall against my bedroom wall.  Needless to say I was not happy with it but since I had done my research, I felt that the walls they normally built would be sufficent enough.  Well, the four months of construction went by fast and the first three weeks living here were quite pleasant.  Now, as of last Friday (four days ago) my neighbors have moved in and I find it difficult to get to sleep.  I must admit that I like to go to bed early, but now all I here is their TV which they have put directly on our common wall- basically at the head of my bed.  I am very disappointed in my house and after talking to the foreman while in tears, he said  there is nothing that they can do to solve the problem.  I have a year warranty on the house, but I do not know what can be done and if it would even be possible to deaden the sound so that I can not hear it.  I really do not want to move out of my first house in a record one month.  But, it is much worse than the apartment that I lived in for almost two years before buying.  I hope that I will hear from someone reguarding my house.  

Tearfully yours,
Kim

Victor

Re: PLEASE HELP! Noisy Common Wall in New Townhome
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 08:20:22 PM »
I have a similar problem.  When I bought my loft, I had neither upstairs nor next-door neighbors.  They moved in before me, so since I've been here (April), I have yet to get a full night's sleep.

I filed a request for warranty repair, citing excessive noise transmission.  The construction company agreed that the noise transmission was excessive and had an acoustical engineer make a recommendation to fix the issue.  It's slow going, but I'm still hopeful that the engineer's recommendation will be useful.

I would suggest that you try to file a warranty repair request of your own; at least this will start a paper trail.  The foreman you talked to may not be sufficiently motivated to deal with customer satisfaction issues - it may simply not be part of his job description.  In the meantime, perhaps you can work something out with your neighbors.

Sorry I don't have a good solution for you; I'm in the same boat as you.  I've lived in apartments all of my life, finally bought my loft a few months ago, and I can't wait to move out.  I've considered hiring my own acoustical engineer to see if my loft violates codes for noise transmission, but I'm unsure if that would make me liable when I sell the place.

Castano

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 02:05:43 AM »
Hi Kim,

I do not have an answer for you either....I just couldn't help sympathize and relate to your story.  I too thought I had found the perfect townhome.  And like you, my bedroom wall is right next to my neighbors living room...the tv is literally on 24/7...I have not gotten used to the sound coming through.

Please keep me posted if you should find any solutions as I will do the same.

Hang in there,
C.

James Eng

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 08:19:34 PM »
Try www.quietsolution.com.  I have a duplex and am considering installing their product (it's cheaper than moving).   Perhaps someone here has had some experience with the product.

Peter J. McMillan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 05:26:12 AM »
Good link James! I'm going to get Quiet Rock. I'll let you know!

;D

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:07:44 PM »
id put a brick thru his window, or perhaps use a baseball bat....lol

boborther

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 08:03:33 PM »
Dear Kimberly,

I am sorry I could not get you your request for help sooner, but it has been very busy in the soundproofing industry as you can probably guess. There are things you can do to the party wall that can be added after construction is complete. One is a material called mass loaded vinyl (MLV) this material would be stapled to you existing drywall, and the seams butted together, you would caulk the seams as well as the perimeter of the vinyl with an acoustical caulk,  you'd then tape the seams with a lead tape or a seam tape. From that point I'd recommend that you sandwich in the (MLV) with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, and "presto" you are soundproofed.
Kim, keep in mind that if you can hear your neighbor, he can hear you. That could be most embarrassing if your bedroom is adjacent to his living room... nuff said there.
If this is still a problem for you Kim, please call me toll free and we can discuss this and other options to soundproof your condo. Remember, contractors are not usually very knowledgable about soundproofing, most will admit it.
Thanks Kimberly.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!