Author Topic: MLV success story  (Read 6310 times)

Mike M

MLV success story
« on: November 11, 2003, 05:42:17 AM »
The master bedroom in our detached single family house is in line with a very noisy and somewhat mean spirited neighbor’s back yard.  Our bedroom wall is 18 feet long with wood siding on the exterior, and ½ drywall on the interior.

The entire wall before was like a drum beating with their stereo bass, and the room was a veritable torture chamber ! Finally I decided to educate myself about soundproofing and after visiting this site, I called and talked with them about mass loaded vinyl.

To make a long story short, I took their advice and ordered enough mass loaded vinyl from him to double layer the bedroom wall and finish it off with 5/8 inch sheetrock. After this barrier was complete, the room become eerily quiet. I opened the back door to hear the neighbor's music booming outside, but inside... quiet ! The Vinyl had worked !

Tapping on the wall now is almost like tapping on concrete, as opposed to the drum that it was before ! The wall is tight now and no longer "flaps around" so to speak, when sound hits it ! Nothing short of miraculous !

see http://www.soundproofing.org/treatments_for_sound_control.htm

tdlamb

Re: MLV success story
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:59:01 PM »
I'm happy to hear that you had a success story.  I am considering doing something similar to my bedroom wall.  I have one wall which faces a busy road and also dogs which bark on both sides of my house.  Only one wall is directly against the traffic as the other three walls are buffered by other inside rooms.  I am looking into several different things, but am not sure which would be most effective.  Has anyone heard or had any experience with a company called Supress?  They produce a sound-engineered drywall where one sheet of it is supposed to be equivalent to 8 sheets of regular drywall.  This company said I could apply it directly against my existing wall or or build a hat channel system first and then apply it so there would be space in between.  The other option I'm looking into is to do as in the success story above and apply mass loaded vinyl and then another layer of drywall.  Perhaps I could combine the Supress drywall with the mass loaded vinyl.  I am willing to pay the extra cost if it would increase the soundproofing.  I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has tried any of these things. Thank you!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »
Supress looks a lot like Quietrock.  I called on pricing for the cheapest Quietrock panel - $99.00!!  I doubt supress is much different.  I say try the MLV - that's only $45 per sheet of drywall or go with Green Glue, that would only be $30 per sheet.  Resilient channels are cheap, about $2.50 for a 12' piece.  Don't forget to do something about the window.  That's where most of your noise is coming in.

andyman91

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:54:39 PM »
This is nice to read because I have not seen many actual testimonials on this site, just a lot of suggestions of what to do.

Did you have any electrical outlets or switches on this wall, and if so, did you keep them there?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 03:52:04 AM »
Andy:

You might want to look at the date for the original post.  It was written 2 1/2 years ago, and not by a registered member.  I doubt he's even returned to the site, much less able to respond to your post.  

Also, I'd be suspicious.  He claims he got this great soundproofing but he didn't do anything about the door and the window in the room, which is where over 90% of the sound is coming from anyway.  Sounds like a lot of B.S. to me.

His post is too much like a commercial - fake.    

andyman91

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »
Interesting. It did seem a bit much that thunderous music could be COMPLETELY eliminated by two layers of MLV. On only one wall to boot?

This internet thing is a slippery slope!

tdlamb

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 12:29:17 AM »
I am writing this to let you know the results of my soundproofing efforts.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, my bedroom wall faces a busy road so I was trying to soundproof against traffic noise and barking dogs next door.  After researching the options, I finally decided to use MLV and another layer of drywall.  Only one wall of my bedroom faces this traffic since the other walls are buffered by other rooms.  I ended up hiring a drywall company who also had a general contractor to do all of the work because I decided against doing the work myself.  

They began by applying 1' x 4' boards (furring strips) vertically every 16" across the wall to provide an air space, making sure that the boards did not touch any side walls, floor or ceiling (1/8" gap). After this they applied a double layer of mass loaded vinyl, staggering the two layers so they would overlap at the seams.  Next they installed a layer of 5/8" drywall.  At this time, I decided for the relatively low cost to have them install a second layer of 5/8" drywall.  So there was an air space, two layers of MLV and two layers of drywall.  Then they taped and textured the drywall.  I lost about 2 1/2" of space.  

Overall, I spent about $1,200 which included the cost of the MLV and all related materials and labor.  I am very happy with the results as my bedroom is much quieter.  I have been able to sleep much better.   I would estimate that the noise level was cut by half.  

I had previously installed a soundproof window from Soundproof Windows Company and a new outside window which is laminated, so I have excellent soundproofing through the window.  

In answer to the previous post,  I had an electrical outlet and an outlet for satellite TV on that wall.  The contractor made cuts in the MLV and the drywall and brought them forward.  I made sure that they caulked around the outlets with soundproof caulking which I also ordered.  

I feel that the $1,200 was money well spent in my case.  Hope this helps anyone considering doing something similar.  I did not have miraculous results like the initial post, but it did make a big difference.