Author Topic: Studio box  (Read 3125 times)

Ahmad

Studio box
« on: February 07, 2001, 02:11:02 PM »
I am trying to build a small studio in my apartment. I have come up with the idea to make a 4'x4' square box out of plywood where I could step inside and sing the vocals without the neighbor’s music getting into my recording. I wanted it to be light and collapsible so I can could unscrew the sides, slide the panels under my bed and have my living room back. Do you think plywood would work? What else do you think I should do so sound does not get into the box but it can be light enough to disassemble and slide under my bed?

bjnash

Re: Studio box
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2001, 02:02:05 AM »
: I am trying to build a small studio in my apartment. I have come up with the idea to make a 4'x4' square box out of plywood where I could step inside and sing the vocals without the neighbor’s music getting into my recording. I wanted it to be light and collapsible so I can could unscrew the sides, slide the panels under my bed and have my living room back. Do you think plywood would work? What else do you think I should do so sound does not get into the box but it can be light enough to disassemble and slide under my bed?
A: Such a box is feasible, but don't make it of plywood, it transmits sound too well.  Make it from "Homasote" or "Soundboard".  LIne it with our soundproofing foam.  Assemble the panels with door hinges where you can pull the pins and/or fold it for storage. You must have a complete box, with sides and top and bottom, fitted well so there are no gaps.  If there are you must gasket them for a tight fit. If you make it airtight it will work well, but you'll need ventilation!  The link will give some ideas on that.