Author Topic: sound board then drywall?  (Read 6690 times)

Jason C.

sound board then drywall?
« on: December 15, 2000, 05:00:03 PM »
Ive spent the last few days reading everything on this web page. I am in the process of sound proffing a room for my band to practice in. It is an existing room that was part of the garage. So far I have covered the existing walls with sound board and caulked all the cracks and spaces, even all the corners. And I have just finished putting up the resilient channel. I was thinking to put more sound board over the rc channel, but then i read that it would be good to use 5/8 inch drywall over that to kill bass frequencies.
Now, I know when I put the dry wall onto to sound board the screws holding the drywall are not suposed to touch the rc channel. Here's the problem, 5/8 dry wall is really heavy- and screws dont really hold in sound board because it is so soft.
Is there a better way to fasten dry wall to sound board, without hitting the rc channel- keep in mind this is on the ceiling too.
Or, would it be better to put up the dry wall first then sound board over that?

bjnash

Re: sound board then drywall?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2000, 02:53:01 AM »
: Ive spent the last few days reading everything on this web page. I am in the process of sound proffing a room for my band to practice in. It is an existing room that was part of the garage. So far I have covered the existing walls with sound board and caulked all the cracks and spaces, even all the corners. And I have just finished putting up the resilient channel. I was thinking to put more sound board over the rc channel, but then i read that it would be good to use 5/8 inch drywall over that to kill bass frequencies.
: Now, I know when I put the dry wall onto to sound board the screws holding the drywall are not suposed to touch the rc channel. Here's the problem, 5/8 dry wall is really heavy- and screws dont really hold in sound board because it is so soft.
: Is there a better way to fasten dry wall to sound board, without hitting the rc channel- keep in mind this is on the ceiling too.
: Or, would it be better to put up the dry wall first then sound board over that?
Use vibration pads to set the drywall/soundboard combo on, then the screws just balance the wall assembly.  On the ceiling, place your RC-1 channel on 12" centers, use some screws thru the channel and use construction adhesive as well between the drywall and soundboard.  Drywall is always out.

edward e. watkins

Re: sound board then drywall?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2000, 07:56:24 PM »
: Ive spent the last few days reading everything on this web page. I am in the process of sound proffing a room for my band to practice in. It is an existing room that was part of the garage. So far I have covered the existing walls with sound board and caulked all the cracks and spaces, even all the corners. And I have just finished putting up the resilient channel. I was thinking to put more sound board over the rc channel, but then i read that it would be good to use 5/8 inch drywall over that to kill bass frequencies.
: Now, I know when I put the dry wall onto to sound board the screws holding the drywall are not suposed to touch the rc channel. Here's the problem, 5/8 dry wall is really heavy- and screws dont really hold in sound board because it is so soft.
: Is there a better way to fasten dry wall to sound board, without hitting the rc channel- keep in mind this is on the ceiling too.
: Or, would it be better to put up the dry wall first then sound board over that?

anything