Author Topic: refrigerater noise  (Read 3648 times)

Ashley Hayes

refrigerater noise
« on: December 01, 2003, 04:51:16 PM »
My neighbor's refrigerator is right up against my bedroom wall where my bed is located. The room is small so I have no choice but to keep the bed there. Any tips on what I can use to put behind the frig would be appreciated. The vibrations and whirring motor sound are driving me nuts! Thanks, Ashley

Mark Sherwin

Re: refrigerater noise
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 04:05:49 AM »
Ashley, I can't give specific advise on materials (I'll leave the sound guys to that).  But I can tell you from experience that once vibration is in the structure its hard to mitigate - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  So two recommendations.  First, if its a loud refrigerator, a quiet model will impact much less.  Two, make sure the refrigerator has no direct contact with walls or cabinets.  Best of luck. Mark

Boborther

Re: refrigerater noise
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 09:33:41 PM »
Ashley,

Mark is correct in his estimation, however there are things you can do to the fridge if the neighbor will let you. If the fridge is in an alcove area, then you could line the walls with a black vinyl nitrile closed cell foam, 1/2" would probably do the trick.
Now if there is transmission into the floor, then perhaps a layer of mass loade vinyl (MLV) for short would be helpful beneath the fridge. Please feel free to call if you have any questions about these methods or procedures. Thanks guys.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times,
The San Francisco Herald Examiner, and The San Diego Union Tribune
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything