Author Topic: Cost for floating ceiling in NY  (Read 5015 times)

Diane S.

Cost for floating ceiling in NY
« on: December 12, 2003, 03:42:52 PM »
Hi,

How much approximately would it cost to float my apartment ceilings for a co-op of approximately 550 sq. ft. total?  I live on Long Island and can't seem to get an estimate or even find a contractor.  I have (I believe) 9 ft. ceilings.  Would it be, in your opinion, a pitfall when I sell my co-op?  I'm thinking that potential buyers when they see the floating ceiling would think the place is loaded with noise.  Any help would be appreciated.

Esme

Re: Cost for floating ceiling in NY
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 07:48:06 PM »
Have you tried looking up acoustical contractors in the phone book? They'll give you a bid.

Diane S.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 11:17:50 PM »
Hi Esme,

Yes, I have looked up Drywall Contractors in the Yellow Pages.  I called all 15 listed in the Nassau county Yellow Book.  So far, I'm not getting many responses back.  I'll still be patient and am asking friends, relatives, etc. if they know of anyone who is licensed and insured.  Thanks for the advice.  I actually was waiting today for a contractor to show up at my door at 4PM and he never showed!!  The internet has many resources for contractors as well, so I'll try that next.
Diane

Esme

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 10:46:29 PM »
I got a bid for a floating ceiling (a layer of shock-absorbing springs with rockwool plus another layer of 5/8" sheetrock) for almost $15,000! My place is about 1200 square feet, but I got the bid for about 3/4 of the ceiling. Needless to say, I am exploring cheaper options--perhaps resilient channel instead of springs. Have you considered hiring a sound engineer? Try logging on to www.soundsense.com.

Diane S.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 01:46:08 AM »
Esme,

I got a bid for about $7,000 for doing a drop ceiling with sound isolation clips and furring channel finished off with a layer of 5/8 inch drywall.  My apartment is only 550 sq. ft. total and I'm not even doing all the rooms -- only the bedroom, living and dining rooms.  I know that this is the way that I need to go.  I just haven't yet decided if moving to a top floor would be more practical.  Do you know of a reliable contractor who does acoustical or drywall on Long Island?
Diane

Esme

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 04:04:09 PM »
My general contractor and my sound engineer are both based on Long Island, but I don't yet know of any specific drywall/acoustic people. The sound engineer is going to put me in touch with one within the next two weeks, however. Since I'm remodeling my entire place at once, I might just have the GC and his subcontractors work under the supervision of the engineer. As soon as I get the contact info for the acoustical contractor, I'll pass it on.

anything