Author Topic: Gas water heater blower  (Read 3533 times)

Doil Lee

Gas water heater blower
« on: February 08, 2001, 07:34:25 PM »
Hi,
I've just moved to a new apartment. The apartment has a gas water heater at the middle of the house and the noise mainly from the blower attached to the top of the heater blows me away. The thing it makes it worse is the heater is behind louvered door because of the ventilation.
Would you please suggest me how can I control the noise? Should I simple buy your soundproof mat and wrap the blower? I am little bit concerned that the mat can insulate too much heat because blower and pipe is more than warm when it works. BTW, the mat is fire proof also?
Thanks in advance.
Doil Lee
from NYC

bjnash

Re: Gas water heater blower
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2001, 01:04:18 AM »
: Hi,
: I've just moved to a new apartment. The apartment has a gas water heater at the middle of the house and the noise mainly from the blower attached to the top of the heater blows me away. The thing it makes it worse is the heater is behind louvered door because of the ventilation.
: Would you please suggest me how can I control the noise? Should I simple buy your soundproof mat and wrap the blower? I am little bit concerned that the mat can insulate too much heat because blower and pipe is more than warm when it works. BTW, the mat is fire proof also?
: Thanks in advance.
: Doil Lee
: from NYC
A:  The blower may be out of balance with a build-up of dirt.  Cleaning may help, but I suspect the louvers in the door is the problem.  An alternative source of air needs to be found and the door done away with.  Soundproofing may help in the sides and it's good up to 200 F so sould be no problem there.

anything