Author Topic: Sound attenuation between floors/apartments  (Read 5173 times)

Dan Borntrager

Sound attenuation between floors/apartments
« on: December 29, 2003, 07:20:28 AM »
Hi,
I recently bought a three-family home only to find out later that the sound attenuation between floors isn't so great.  There is only one apartment per floor so not having too much trouble w/ sound from the hallway or sound through the walls for each apartment.. The real problem is that the person below can hear the person in the apartment above and footfalls are generally heard as well.

I want to have a plan ready so that when one of the tenants moves out, I can pull up the current flooring and add some sort of sound barrier.  I am willing to remove the subfloor to add material in there as well as add a layer above the subfloor and use any sort of flooring that might make a difference.

Do you have any suggestions? The apt. is about 1000 sq. ft.  I'm willing to spend about $3,000 or less on materials (not including the actual cosmetic flooring).

Do these laminate floors w/ the quiet step marketing stuff really make any difference? I would like to put in something other than carpeting..  Unless you think that will really kill my chances at reducing noise (all the apts. are currently carpeted except the bottom floor).

Thanks for your help,
Dan

mudstick@mindspring.com