Author Topic: Noise from above apartment  (Read 3146 times)

Lisa Nero

Noise from above apartment
« on: January 08, 2004, 05:10:05 PM »
I have a problem with the noise from the apartment above me.  Even though she has carpet on her hardwood floors, I still hear every footstep, furniture being moved etc... The builiding is an old brownstone in NYC. I've talked to her, the landlord, and they just don't care. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this as well. I would like to soundproof my ceiling around 400 square feet. What do you suggest?

Diane

Re: Noise from above apartment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 08:19:44 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you.  You will see my posts on this site.   I live on the first floor and my neighbor above has carpeting and thick padding. I still hear every footstep and move that she makes.  It is driving me insane.  The only way to eliminate this problem is to do a drop ceiling using the super sound clips and furring channel.  I am in the process of looking for a contractor right now.  The price is quite large and I've been quoted around $7,000 for labor and materials.  It is either this solution or move.  I will do whichever is cheaper and more practical.  If you know of a good, reliable drywall contractor on Long Island let me know.  Maybe we can give him a dual job!!  Good luck and just remember you are not suffering alone.  

anything