Author Topic: Soundproofing my yard  (Read 4166 times)

Jeanne Amour

Soundproofing my yard
« on: January 25, 2004, 05:28:35 AM »
We unfortunately live next door to very noisy people.  They have installed a pool in their backyard which is very close to our shared fence.  One of the joys of our home is the solitude and quiet our back yard gives.   We installed double pane windows on our home 2 years ago.  We are trying to come up with ideas on how to minimize the back yard noise.  We may even go so far as to enclose the entire patio in a sound proof room - one that is see through like plexiglass.  Anybody else have a similar problem?

The Gum

Re: Soundproofing my yard
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 05:38:34 AM »
 Hi Jeanne.
I have that same problem, Pool included.
The problem is that there was nothing between the 6 foot high fence and my deck, also the fun sounds of the pool were bouncing off the exterior walls of the house back at me on the deck.

I’m in Minnesota where the pool season is quite short (yippee) but there is also winter fun over there. Snow does a good job of insulating noise all by it self.
My solution:  Plants and lots of them.
I have installed a string of ebervities (evergreen's) all along the neighbor friendly fence that will grow to 15 foot high in about 5-7 years, they are slow.  Hanging plants on the house and some well placed spreading vines to overtake the fence in a matter of a couple years.
Thick bushes do nicely also.  
Open spaces are a highway to the sound of splashing water.
             Good Luck,  Gum.

boborther

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »
Jeanne,

Soundproofing the outdoors from the outdoors is difficult at best. One thing that would help would be a masonary fence that is at least 8' high between you and the noisy neighbors. Check for city ordinances on how high a common wall can be. Generally masonry products are a good soundproofer and the wall being 8' high will help a lot. If the sound has to climb 8' it will deminish greatly by the time it gets to you.
The evergreens and shrubbery helps, but it takes years to mature and it's effectiveness is minimal (too many gaps). Please feel free to call me toll free if you have any further questions. Thanks Jeanne.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Julie Peterson

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 09:42:25 PM »
I have that same problem and I understand what you are going through.  We have a nature sound machine that we play outside (ocean sounds, streams, birds, etc.) It blocks the noise.  We also wear ear plugs if we don't want to hear anything or we listen to radio music on our radio headsets.  This is just such a noisy world nowadays.

mario

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 01:03:28 AM »
Buy a lot of windchimes and put them everywhere outside.  Also, a water fountain is nice and blocks noise.