Author Topic: do foam board sheets help any?  (Read 4228 times)

Lynn

do foam board sheets help any?
« on: February 06, 2004, 06:07:18 PM »
I live in a rental unit, therefore any real structural additions for noise control cannot be used.  My bedroom is next to the elevator shaft and therefore I get the motor vibration sound drifting into the room.  I just moved in and have carpet on the floor and plan to buy heavy drapes and to do a wall fabric treatment (for decorative purposes, since I am restricted to paint anything but white).  I thought of stapling foam board to the common wall, 3/16"  and then my fabric on top of the board.  Can I expect any reasonable muffling of the noise?

I'm floored, didn't even realize there was a website for soundproofing noise..... so many of us have to live with constant noise and while it is not a life threatening issue it does make for uncomfortable living.  

Thanks for any suggestions.

seth

Re: do foam board sheets help any?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 05:23:10 PM »
i put up 4'x8' sheets of 2 inch thick "foamular" foam panels in my garage.  this is an Owens-Corning insulation prduct.  it did not stop sound at all.  i do not recommend it.  you can hear a conversation through it as if nothing is even there.

anything