Author Topic: why doubled floors don't work  (Read 4040 times)

Beatrice Gray

why doubled floors don't work
« on: February 17, 2004, 05:50:26 AM »
I live in a prewar tenement in downtown NYC which means I hear noises not only from my upstairs neighbor but from the one next to me and those two who live floors up. The landlord has recently renovated the upstairs apartment. Another floor was built on top of the old floor with about 2" of free space and a 1" rubber mat in between. The new wood floors made no difference, it's just as noisy as it used to be. What is the reason for this? How do I explain to my landlord that the job did not do the trick?
Thanks in advance,
Beatrice   :-/

Farely

Re: why doubled floors don't work
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:36:34 PM »
I don't have an answer for you, sorry. I'm trying to figure out how to solve my noisy neighbor problems too. What type of noises are you hearing- footsteps, creaks, music, talking?

Beatrice

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 04:35:42 PM »
Mostly very loud footsteps (it's not good when your neighbor chooses to wear clogs at home). When the neighbor's two year old runs around it sounds like a herd of elephants. Also, anything they drop on the floor sounds like hammering.  
If people in the city were less hostile things would be easier to deal with. ???

J. David Cook

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 02:33:55 PM »
typical mistake, the "new" floor is still transmitting noise right though the rubber pad and on to the "old" floor and trusses, etc. too much surface contact. better idea is to use sound clips to "float the new floor, attach wood to channels, then build new floor that is now isolated form the old floor. other possibility is to "float" your ceiling, again with isolation clips, channel, and sheetrock. your landlord tried, but he doesn't know what he's doing! ;)

boborther

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 06:29:31 PM »
Beatrice,

J. David Cook is right in his assessment of the floated floor, however, to do this with Isomax sound clips would be very costly. A better idea would be to float the ceiling in your unit using the RSIC-1 sound clips or the Isomax clips. You are living in a very old building with very old and resonant wood trusses, joists and studs. Old wood is great in your Martin Guitar or vintage violin or piano, but when it comes to soundproofing, you need to alleviate the negative properties of the wood.
Some simple things that would help would be to get the upper neighbors to carpet and pad their floors, perhaps placing a layer of mass loaded vinyl beneath the new carpet and pad.
Beatrice, if you check local ordinances in NYC you will discover that there are laws requiring 60 to 80% of the floor in an upper unit must be covered with absorbent materials such as throw rugs, oriental rugs, or wall to wall carpet etc.
If you have any further questions, please call me @ (888) 942-7723. Thanks your Beatrice.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Beatriec

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 03:43:47 AM »
Thank you, both David and Bob.
Unfortunately, my landlord thinks he's done his best by building the floors the way they are now. In fact, he believes he did such a good job that he doesn't believe my complaints anymore. Meaning, he won't carpet the apartment above unless I take him to court. At the same time, in the NYC spirit, the upstairs neighbor says the noise isn't her problem.
My apartment is close to 400 sq. ft., it may be cheaper to float my ceiling than to find a new apartment. I don't expect absolute silence, but how much would the insulation you are talking about help in case of impact noise?
Thank you again,
Beatrice

anything