Author Topic: Neighbor's footsteps/banging noise coming through wall/floor  (Read 4374 times)

Neil Hoffman

Neighbor's footsteps/banging noise coming through wall/floor
« on: February 12, 2001, 08:27:17 PM »
I live in a rather narrow apartment in an old tenement building and hear both my neighbor's (loud) footsteps and various banging sounds coming from the apartment that shares a wall with mine. That wall is composed of a) the original studs/sheetrock with b) a second wall built with soundboard/sheetrock on aluminum studs about 1" out from the original sheetrock. That second wall was done prior to learning of your suggested approach. I cannot affect what happens on my neighbor's side of the wall, so short of tearing the wall down (a difficult proposition in this co-op building) and trying to re-do it, I was thinking of the following: A)putting a 5/16" layer of your soundproofing foam on my side of the wall with a 1/2" layer of cork tile over that and B)using your floormat and putting padding/carpet on top of that. Do you think this approach will work or would I be wasting my time/money? What do you suggest?

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: Neighbor's footsteps/banging noise coming through wall/floor
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2001, 03:37:49 AM »
: I live in a rather narrow apartment in an old tenement building and hear both my neighbor's (loud) footsteps and various banging sounds coming from the apartment that shares a wall with mine. That wall is composed of a) the original studs/sheetrock with b) a second wall built with soundboard/sheetrock on aluminum studs about 1" out from the original sheetrock. That second wall was done prior to learning of your suggested approach. I cannot affect what happens on my neighbor's side of the wall, so short of tearing the wall down (a difficult proposition in this co-op building) and trying to re-do it, I was thinking of the following: A)putting a 5/16" layer of your soundproofing foam on my side of the wall with a 1/2" layer of cork tile over that and B)using your floormat and putting padding/carpet on top of that. Do you think this approach will work or would I be wasting my time/money? What do you suggest?
The cork and padding will not do what you expect, but your other idea is good.  Add the resilient channel to the equation and you'll have a winner!  Follow the link below.

anything