Author Topic: soundproofing a portable generator  (Read 13207 times)

Jason Haskins

soundproofing a portable generator
« on: March 08, 2004, 01:08:25 AM »
I recently purchased a large generac portable generator, (generac 15 kw, 30 hp) that is kinda noisy, I was looking at a $100 supplemental muffler setup but after reading up on it I wasnt sure if it would help that much, what I would like is a temporary enclosure I can put around it when I run it, that would reduce noise and not have to worry about it catching fire. any suggestions on how to do something like this ?

Donna Lott

Re: soundproofing a portable generator
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 08:57:35 PM »
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

found this design while searching for info on sound proofing a portable generator - hope it helps

boborther

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 05:00:41 PM »
 That diagram is a good one, and you also have the option of using the "2box" method, which would consist of 2 box enclosures one bigger than the other. One side of each box would be open and the smaller box would slide into the bigger one leaving plenty of space for ventilation via the air gap between the two mis matched boxes. I would also recomend that both boxes be lined with a closed cell foam mat to help quell the noise and vibration common to most outdoor generator units.
I don't have a diagram of the 2 box method, but it is very similar to the diagram on our website.
Jason, if you have the time please call me toll free and I will be glad to help you with you generator soundproofing endeavor. Thanks for the posting.

Sincerely,

Marc
Super Soundproofing Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040

]

Jason Haskins

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 09:28:23 PM »
finally got back here!  I like the suggestion but is it easily assembled/dissasembled?

supersoundproofing

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 04:29:10 PM »
Donna:

We have had previous positive results in soundproofing portable generators, as in your case. Call us at Super Soundproofing Company, should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Skip Snyder
Super Soundproofing Co.
(760) 752-3030

Dave Cook

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »
I just read your post and I am wondering how you made out.  I am trying to tackle the same problem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave