Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Traffic Noise  (Read 3728 times)

Zachary Sherburne

Traffic Noise
« on: March 10, 2004, 06:51:14 PM »

8) Our home backs to a relatively busy street which at peak commute times can result in a noisy backyard which is not conducive to relaxing.

We have a waterfall, outdoor speakers, and the wall behind the property is only five feet or so high.

I would welcome any suggestions (short of moving) that might cut down on the noise. Thank you in advance.

J. David Cook

Re: Traffic Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 02:12:49 PM »

the wall, height, and the type of wall are key issues. the most important questions are; van i see throught the wall? if yes the sound can too! can i see the traffic above the wall when i'm in the yard? if yes then the wall is not able to block noise! your wall needs to be solid, and needs to create a barrier between you and the noise. the higher the better, it will force noise to go over the wall, a decorative feature on top will help, ie if the wall is block, mount the top blocks across the wall rather than same direction as others, put a round block on top, use a decorative metal tube, etc. this will disturb the the noise energy and promote even better results. you can add quilted fiberglass blankets, for outdoor use to the inside or outside of the wall, particularly if it's a privacy,wood fence. tell Bob to call Jody! ;D