Author Topic: Band needs to soundproof basement of townhouse  (Read 4332 times)

Rachael Foley

Band needs to soundproof basement of townhouse
« on: March 24, 2004, 02:56:51 AM »
I just bought a townhouse and I'm in a band.  We want to be able to practice in the basement without disturbing our neighbors.  Should we get a contractor to professionally soundproof the basement, or can we try to do it ourselves?  We usually practice pretty loud, and I'm wondering if this is even possible.  Any information would be highly appreciated.

Dan Gaspar

Re: Band needs to soundproof basement of townhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 04:44:36 PM »
I'm in the same situation.  My guitarist and I just rented a place with a finished basement. We thought the band would be able to practice in the basement  because of the thick cement walls, but now we realize that sound is traveling through the hanging ceiling and floor joists into the other half of the duplex.  We just signed a 1 year lease too! My plan is to create a sound barrier along the top of the cement wall that my apartment shares with the next apartment.  I'm going to do this by sealing off the open area between the floor joist above the cement wall with wonderboard, acoustical caulking and soundproofing tape. Maybe some soundboard in between.  I'll report back with how I make out.

We're an acoustic rock band sounding somthing like Days of the New or Alice in Chains unplugged so if we practice unamplified it will help cut down on the noise -until we move the drums into the basement.

What kind of band are you in?  

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org