Author Topic: Is blowing insulation into the floor joists worth it?  (Read 4545 times)

Dave B

Is blowing insulation into the floor joists worth it?
« on: December 15, 2000, 11:17:54 PM »
I live in the top floor of a duplex. Sometimes I hear a lot of noise from the TV or Sterio from the first floor apartment. I got a quote for $320.00 to have rock wool blown into the joist space in the ceiling above the room in the first floor apartment where the TV and sterio are kept. The insulation is installed by drilling 4 inch holes through the ceiling, blowing in the insulaiton, plugging the holes, then taping over the holes and painting the ceiling. Is this worth the money? Or, is the money better spent by installing the flexable chanel and sheet rock system described in this web site?
If anyone has experiance with this your inpute will be appreciated. Thanks

bjnash

Re: Is blowing insulation into the floor joists worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2000, 02:56:23 AM »
: I live in the top floor of a duplex. Sometimes I hear a lot of noise from the TV or Sterio from the first floor apartment. I got a quote for $320.00 to have rock wool blown into the joist space in the ceiling above the room in the first floor apartment where the TV and sterio are kept. The insulation is installed by drilling 4 inch holes through the ceiling, blowing in the insulaiton, plugging the holes, then taping over the holes and painting the ceiling. Is this worth the money? Or, is the money better spent by installing the flexable chanel and sheet rock system described in this web site?
: If anyone has experiance with this your inpute will be appreciated. Thanks
Folks who call here say there is some noticable improvement, especially over cellulose, but not nearly enough to solve the problem.  The cost/benefit ratio is therefore not high enough to justify doing it.