Author Topic: Traffic Noise and Elevation  (Read 3670 times)

John Shum

Traffic Noise and Elevation
« on: April 14, 2004, 10:39:09 AM »
I am about to purchase a new flat which is beside a fairly busy road. The flat is on the fifth floor of an apartment block, and has a 2m wide curved balcony running around the perimeter of the flat on the roadside (i.e. one has to go to the edge of the balcony and look down to see the road below). The wall of the balcony is about 1.5 high and is in some parts brick, in some parts iron railing.

The windows of the flat are all double-glazed with aluminium frames. During the couple of times I have been to the flat, I have noticed ambient traffic noise even when the windows are closed.

I was thinking of whether one could use the space on  the balcony to create an effect noise buffer. Plants sping to mind, as well as looking to cover up the parts of the balcony wall made of iron railings with some form of transparent rubber covering. However, the noise must be travelling up and over the balcony wall. Is there any way to stop this form of noise transmission other than making the wall higher? Is there an effective active noise reducer (i.e. anti-noise producer) on the market yet?

Many thanks