Author Topic: Installation on plaster and drywall ceiling  (Read 3709 times)

Kathleen Austin

Installation on plaster and drywall ceiling
« on: April 19, 2004, 01:23:32 AM »
We own a 2-flat in Chicago and plan on doing some remodling in the tenant unit on the 1st floor.  During that process we want to also install some soundproofing measures.  We live on the 2nd floor and can hear our tenants fairly often, which means they probably hear us quite a bit too.  We are fairly sure there is no insulation between floors and believe that when the former owners did some remodling, instead of repairing the cracked and damaged plaster they just drywalled over everything.  Will we have to remove both the current drywall and plaster ceiling before installing your products?

Vince

Re: Installation on plaster and drywall ceiling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:51:47 AM »
I'm also in Chicago looking to soundproof/float my ceilings.  Has anyone found a good contractor?  Thanks.  

boborther

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 05:43:44 PM »
Kathleen and Vince,

I have not found an acoustical contractor in the Chicago area, however, any competent drywall contractor can do this work. The float with sound clips and furring channels is the best way to combat impact noise (walking noise from above) it is the only method that can decouple your ceiling from the structural members and the subfloor above.
If you can, I would also suggest a layer of mass loaded vinyl adhered to the ceiling, caulked taped and sealed at the seams as well as the perimeter, and then do your float on the ceiling with the SSP sound clips. I hope this answers your questions, and I do apologize for the delay in my posting, but we recently changed locations and things have been hectic.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Vince

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 01:18:57 AM »
Thanks Bob.  What about putting up the drywall (with sound clips and furring strips) over an existing plaster ceiling?  Thanks again.  

anything