Author Topic: Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe  (Read 3571 times)

Giovanni

Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe
« on: July 21, 2003, 09:44:51 AM »
I live in Moscow, Europe and I need help with soundproofing! I live in an old apartment building and the noise is bad. The walls are thick, solid concrete. Because of the layout of the building, I have neighbors on two sides, above, below, plus the diagonals that I share corners with. Because of this I can’t tell where the noise comes from most of the time. Talking is never heard, but television and music are. Of course when repairs are being done (which is often) it sounds like the building is going to come down. Anyway, I think most of the noise actually comes through the floor and ceiling though as opposed to the walls. I think the floors might just be concrete slabs too. Anyway, I have read some stuff on this topic but I have a few problems. I don’t think I can get many of the special materials talked about here – or at least I haven’t found them yet. I would like to start with trying to cut noise through the floors and ceiling. Can you provide any tips on how to do this with simple and common materials? The floor right now has linoleum, but I have it covered with carpet cut to the shape of the room (not anchored). I am not opposed to ripping the linoleum up if that is the best way to go. Thanks.

Boborther

Re: Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 09:20:15 PM »
Giovanni,

Shipping to Europe would be extremely difficult (not to mention expensive). The best thing you can do (given your circumstances) is to carpet and pad wall to wall over your entire floor. I would also put a couple of layers of rolled roofing material beneath your carpet and padding as a make shift soundproofing underlayment.  The rolled roofing should be available in Moscow, if you have a local building supply house. This is a very common building material and should be readily available even in Europe.
Giovanni, there are many other products which are state of the art as far as soundproofing goes, but I am just afraid they are not available in Moscow.
Keep in mind that as a general rule, concrete is a very good soundproofing material as are most masonry products. Two masonry products that are not good soundproofers are plaster and cinder block. Check to make sure the walls and floors are indeed constructed with concrete block and not the more porous cinder block.
  I am sorry that I cannot be of more help. I do hope this information is beneficial to you. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales /Technical Associate
www.soundproofing.org
boborther@soundproofing.org
Phone (760)752-3030
Orders only!  (888) 942-7723

Giovanni

Re: Soundproofing in Moscow, Europe
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 10:09:44 AM »
Update - my building is concrete panel construction. The walls, floors, and ceilings are very thick and very hard. It takes about 30 minutes with a good masonry bit to go 2cm into the wall. They are very solid. Yet for some reason the noise is ridiculous. There must be seams and holes I just can’t see. The worst part though is that I can’t figure out where the noise comes from. It seems to come from every direction at once. I am at a loss. I am willing to install dropped ceilings, raised floors, and false walls, but I have a very limited budget and I don’t have specialized soundproofing materials available to me. Plus the walls are just too hard to drill all the mounting holes! Any ideas??? Also, we have double pane windows, but the noise from outside is also a real problem. For example, last night some local drunks spent the whole night partying just below my window and it was like they were in the room with me. I need help!