Author Topic: Impact noise with Pergo  (Read 3837 times)

VAS

Impact noise with Pergo
« on: April 20, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »
This is a great forum - I've "lurked" on it for a few years off and on...

I live on the top floor of a two-story condo (1 unit beneath me). Our bylaws require all areas, except kitchen and bath, to be carpeted to "minimize impact noise". I've lived underneath someone and know how bad it can be, which is why I am very considerate of my neighbor when I am walking around.

Nevertheless, I'd really love to get rid of the carpeting in the livingroom and put down either Pergo or hardwood floors. As I understand it, prior to putting down Pergo, a subfloor will first be layed down.

My question is this: Will Pergo, with subflooring layed directly on top of plywood transmit, more, less, or the same  amount of "impact noise" as does a medium grade carpet/pad on top of plywood? Same question reguarding hardwood.

Thanks in advance!

VAS

VAS

Re: Impact noise with Pergo
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:58:42 PM »
After looking at this and other websites I need to rephrase my original question...

Current situation: 2nd floor condo unit with medium grade carpet and medium grade pad.

Possible future situation: replace carpet with hardwood floors.

Can anyone tell me if lead sheeting on top of the existing plywood, followed by cork underlay and finally "floating" hardwood flooring would be as good as, if not better than, the carpeting I now have regarding ambient noise leakage from my unit to the downstairs unit as well as from the downstairs unit into my unit?

If anyone has any comments on what effect this would have on impact noise, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
VAS

anything