Author Topic: Soundproofing installation  (Read 4027 times)

C.L. Slaton

Soundproofing installation
« on: April 20, 2004, 05:04:27 PM »
I live in a high rise condominium built in 1963 of concrete.  They require a layer of "soundproofing" sheet foam to be used when installing wood flooring.  At the time my floors were installed they did not specify brands and allowed the use of very thin foam sold in places like Home Depot and Lowe's.  My wood floors are not floating and when the sheet foam was installed (either over or under the plywood subfloor, I'm not sure which) the contractor used nails to secure the sub floor to the concrete and thereby would have punctured the paper-thin foam sheet.  My downstairs neighbor is now saying that the soundproofing was improperly installed and my floors must be removed, repaired and re-installed.  There are no rules in our condo by-laws regarding the installation process, only that the installation material needs to be submitted for approval before installation - which I did.  With foam this flimsy, is it truly "compromised" by the installation process?  I don't see how this foam can provide much soundproofing in the first place.  I was told the only proper installation method is to use adhesive and that once the "barrier" was punctured, the soundproofing function was/is compromised...

boborther

Re: Soundproofing installation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
C.L.

I apologize for the delay in answering you posting, but we have recently relocated and it has been a bit hectic.
The foam underlayment that was used on your floor would have been useless, regardless of the nail puncture holes the floor installers placed in it. The Home Depot foams are a variety of open celled foam panels or blocks. Open cell foam has no soundproofing ability whatsoever.
What I might suggest is a layer of mass loaded vinyl rolled out onto your subfloor and then your hardwood floor re installed atop.
The MLV will need to be caulked at the seams as well as the perimeter (this is essential), and the seams would then be taped with a lead tape or a seam tape designed for this purpose. From there you would either re install the original floor or purchase and install new wood flooring.
I hope this answers your questions C.L.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything