Author Topic: Please help!!! Sound-deadening fiberboard  (Read 4756 times)

VAS

Please help!!! Sound-deadening fiberboard
« on: April 23, 2004, 11:43:39 PM »
Does anyone know if an underlay of  sound-deadening fiberboard beneath hardwood floors is effective at controlling impact noise to occupants below?

Diane

Re: Please help!!! Sound-deadening fiberboard
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 11:23:28 AM »
sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I give you points for being sensitive to the needs of your downstairs neighbor.  Now don't we all wish we had a neighbor like you?  Apartment living would be alot easier if people would wake up and be a bit more considerate.

By the way, are you in the process of laying down a new hardwood floor?  I can imagine that would be the only practical way to get something underneath it.

Good luck and I hope that you solve your problem.

VAS

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 04:54:07 PM »
Thanks Diane. Having lived downstairs from a herd of elephants, I know how bad it can be. Consequently, I'm VERY quiet, never walk on my heels, or with shoes or boots on.

Ironically enough, the person downstairs doesn't "get it" that slamming closet doors is very disturbing.

It seems like Bob who used to answer provide answers is MIA. Wish he'd come back...

VAS

Diane

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 04:09:46 PM »
Hi,

I would like you to move in upstairs from me!!  Any desire to come to New York?????  Or maybe you already live here!!  

My neighbor can't understand why we tell her to please remove her high-heeled boots.  A few weeks ago, we had three women walking around in boots -- one at 4AM in the morning.  

Diane

VAS

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 10:18:07 PM »
Hi Diane,

I already live in NY, but upstate NY.

I called the "store" on this website and was given a lot of very good information.

Basically he said that MLV with their new Super- SoundProof pad should, operative word being "should", be no noisier than carpet with a pad. The MLV has an ambient noise reduction of 24, about the same as what I currently have with carpet and pad, and the Super-SoundProof pad is very good at minimizing impact noise.

So I'm going to put that down and install a floating, hardwood floor manufactured by Kahrs - a Swedish company. You can literally pick the floor up and take it with you when you move.

In any event, it's going to cost about $1200 for 475 square feet  for the MLV and Super SoundProof pad. Not cheap, but I wonder if your upstairs neighbor would go for you putting this down under her carpet?

They also seem to have some good options if you don't mind ripping up your ceiling.

It's really a shame that nothing is constructed with the idea of having peace and quiet. I really feel for you.

But call the number on this forum, they might have some ideas for you.

VAS

anything