Author Topic: Quieting Air Conditioner pipe noise  (Read 6982 times)

Richard

Quieting Air Conditioner pipe noise
« on: April 26, 2004, 03:35:49 PM »
Our house has an air conditoiner compressor/condensor box located right outside a bedroom.  The A/C copper pipes go from the box up the bedroom walls to the air handler in the attic above the bedroom.

There is a tremendous amount of noise/vibration from the compressor being transmitted into the bedroom via the pipes - which have a thermal foam insulation on them, but nothing more.  I suspect the vibration is somehow being amplified and focused into the room much like a speaker box does.

Any suggestions as to how to attenuate/elimate the noise from these pipes?  I am prepared to open the drywall, and wrap or insulate the pipes from the bedroom side then replace the drywall.

Thanks,
Richard

boborther

Re: Quieting Air Conditioner pipe noise
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 11:50:21 PM »
Richard,

You need to locate where the pipes are entering the wall, then isolate them from the drywall and other structural members of the wall. If there is serious vibration in the copper pipes, this vibration can easily be transmitted into the drywall or the wooden structure itself. Keep in mind that copper pipes will expand up to 20% when heated, and contract nearly 20% when cooled (Frozen). This expansion and contraction plays a major role in the quietness (or lack thereof) in most HVAC systems.
Finding these breeches should not be too difficult, however, if some of the piping is attached to the studs or joists via non insulated pipe fastners, then we will have to break into the drywall to fix this problem.
Please feel free to call me at your earliest convenience to discuss your soundproofing issues in depth. Thanks for the posting, and interesting one indeed.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!