Author Topic: Wood milling shop to office  (Read 3261 times)

Jim Stegmaier

Wood milling shop to office
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:45:05 AM »
I have an existing 2 x 4 wall, drywalled on both sides.  We are installing a wood milling shop in a vacant area with offices on the opposite side.  I would like to simply install resilient channels on the existing drywall and attach some sort of dense fabric to the channels.  I have heard of using rubber backed carpet, or the walfled cartpet padding.  I need suggestions.

Jim

boborther

Re: Wood milling shop to office
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 04:28:10 PM »
Jim,

If you look closely at the resilient channels, you'll see that there is no way to attach a limpid fabric to them. They are designed for drywall, hardy board, soundboard and other types of wall board. If there is a wood working shop on one side, and offices on the other, then the Resilient channels with 5/8" fire code drywall will be effective at blocking the noise into the offices. How effective, that's hard to say, as it is a proven fact that 65% to 70% of  people who install resilient channels do it wrong and their labor is for naught.
I would talk to an expert before beginning this project, that way you'll be assured of a proper installation and an effecient floated wall. Please feel free to call me toll free @ (888) 942-7723 and I will be happy to help you down the road to soundproofing. Knowledge is power, and the smarter you are about soundproofing, the more money you will save and the better your soundproofing project with perform. Thanks for the posting.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!
[/b]
[/color]

anything