Author Topic: Wood Floor "Heel Click"  (Read 3391 times)

Thom Wilkins

Wood Floor "Heel Click"
« on: May 05, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »
I have an awful "heel click" noise between townhomes thru the double 2x4 fire wall.  The subfloor is continuous from townhome to townhome under the double fire wall.  When someone walks across their hardwood floors next door, the neighbor hears the heel click resonating (I suppose) thru the subfloor and into the adjoining townhome.  How do I fix?

boborther

Re: Wood Floor "Heel Click"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
Thom,

This is a common problem with townhomes and condo's alike. If the floors are common even through the firewalls, the easiest thing to do would be to remove any base board, and actually cut a groove through the hardwood flooring  that de couples your common floor to the neighbors floor. The groove must be cut completely through the floor and the sub floor, without damaging the joists or other structural members.  Due to these structural members and also weight bearing issues, this is best performed by a professional building or flooring contractor.
Now, that being said, there may still be issues with the party wall between you and the neighbor after the cut is completed. If this is the case, click on the link below and read about soundproofing a party wall in a common shared building.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

I hope this helps you, thanks for the posting.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!