Author Topic: Sound-mitigating wood fence  (Read 5367 times)

Bill

Sound-mitigating wood fence
« on: May 23, 2004, 07:03:20 AM »
We have city permission to build an 8-foot fence, which must be wood at least on the street side.  To block some of the 45 mph traffic noise without killing our trees, we must build a fence which uses fence posts rather than a long, deep footing for a block wall.  

Does anyone have a design for a solid, sound-mitigating  fence?  I believe I need about 4 pounds of mass per square foot.  Plywood could provide the mass but would rot inside a fence.  

boborther

Re: Sound-mitigating wood fence
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 11:34:35 PM »
Bill,

You could build a double walled fence from wood and line or better yet fill the inside with a closed cell vinyl nitrile foam mat. That would both block and absorb the sound. It is not massive, but it is dense and would serve a dual purpose. The closed cell foam is very weather resistant and would be a great material for the inside portion of the double walled fence. This is a great question and I get it often, so if any of your soundproofing Guru's have a plan that has worked better, then by all means voice it here and share your success with us all.
Bill, thanks for the posting.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Bill

Re: Sound-mitigating wood fence
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 06:19:34 AM »
Here is advice I got from an acoustic engineer:

1.  A double-thickness redwood fence with overlapping one-inch thick redwood boards works pretty well.  The number one issue is to block sound coming under the fence by taking it down into the dirt.  However, caulking fence boards which expand and contract with heat and moisture can be a challenge.

2.  A fence made of siding of both sides of an air cavity should work well, as long as all gaps are sealed.  I found a cement board product, Hardisiding, which is about 3/8" thick cement board pressed to look like siding in 4x8 sheets.  It is heavier than wood siding, so it should block sound well when two thicknesses are used.  It won't rot so it could extend to the ground :) :).  I haven't found any big drawbacks to this product yet.  This may be more cost-effective for a long fence than filling the cavity with sound-blocking material.

Bill