Author Topic: H.V.A.C. Soundproofing  (Read 3811 times)

David Donaldson

H.V.A.C. Soundproofing
« on: June 22, 2004, 06:01:18 AM »
I'm having a new H.V.A.C. unit installed from scratch. The installer has been servicing my old unit for some time and has always provided excellent service, and great pricing. However, I'm not sure he is fully aware of all the "tricks" needed to make this work in a recording studio. I'm using two adjacent bedrooms in my home with double walled construction between the two. I'd like to find some plans to give him to build the registers, exhausts, ducts, and any other info that would help him make it as quiet as possible. My control room is apx. 16' x 14' and my vox/drum room is apx. 14'x14'.
Sometimes I have to stuff 10 to 16 people in the vox room, and that's a lot of body heat. The whole house is apx. 2200 sq.ft, with 4 bedrooms.
I have a 1 1/2 ton unit on those two rooms that's relatively quiet, but when I have a small choir or vocal group it gets very hot. My old 4 ton unit would keep the whole house relatively cool but it was too noisy when recording, I could never use it when doing vox, only drums.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David.

boborther

Re: H.V.A.C. Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 09:45:28 PM »
David,

We are not fancy enough to have drawn out plans, but our solutions are pretty straight forward, you need to line the insides of the ducts with a closed cell vinyl nitrile foam mat. (adhere with contact cement) This foam will act as an absorber as well as a barrier and will not really effect the air flow to the studio or the vox booth. This foam can be obtained at the Super Soundproofing Co.. This is the soulution  the professionals use and it should work great for you. Thanks for the posting Dave.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!