Author Topic: soundproofing ceiling  (Read 3034 times)

philip aievoli

soundproofing ceiling
« on: June 22, 2004, 07:49:31 PM »
hi, i live in and old tenament building in ny. the floor above me is a subfloor with a rug on top. i hear impact noise, i can hear draws opening. when the tenant walks around its loud. is there any way i can sound proof the ceiling effectively with out taking down the ceiling. i have 9' ceilings. thank you phil

Scott Swisher

Re: soundproofing ceiling
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 11:09:21 PM »
Hello Phil,

Your best solution to the impact noise caused by your neighbor above is to "float" a ceiling on sound clips.  You can screw sound clips through your existing ceiling and into the joists about every four square feet.  You then put furring channel into the sound clips and attach your drywall to the furring channel.  You will leave a gap of a 1/2 inch at the perimeter of your "floated" ceiling.  You then fill in the gap with a closed cell foam tape with adhesive on one side called backersquare tape.  You then finish this ceiling off by caulking, taping, lightly mudding and then painting.  If you wanted extra soundproofing against airborne sounds, you can add a layer of mass loaded vinyl, a one-eighth of an inch thick barrier material.

That being said, there are other factors that can influence the optimal solution to your noise problem.  Additional information that could affect your solution would be: Is your ceiling lathe and plaster or drywall?  Do you have joists in your ceiling and how far apart are they?  

Most likely even with the answers to these questions, your solution will revolve around a "floated" ceiling.

If you would like to discuss your situation further, call  1-888-942-7723

Thank you,

Scott Swisher

Ex- Super Soundproofing Consultant

philip aievoli

Re: soundproofing ceiling
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:09:59 PM »
HI, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PAST ADVISE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU WOULD KNOW ANY STORES THAT WOULD CARRY SOUND CLIPS IN NY CITY. THANK YOU  PHIL

anything