Author Topic: Noise from the condo below me  (Read 3572 times)

Dave

Noise from the condo below me
« on: February 20, 2001, 06:37:42 PM »
I would like to know if your "mass loaded vinyl flooring with foam" would help resolve my noise issue.
I own the first floor of a Townhouse with beautiful hardwood floors. The owners below me play their "Dolby surround sound system” when watching TV, movies or listening to music. The sound is clearly heard in my bedroom and living room. I have tried large area rugs and pads - but they have not helped very much.  I've been relegated to living/eating/sleeping in my den - the only place the sound is not heard - and I am tired of it. I do not want to rip up the existing flooring or lay another permanent floor over it.
Will your "mass loaded vinyl flooring with foam” laid over the existing hardwood floor in the living room and bedroom help?
If so, what are the layers I should consider (your floor map, carpet pad and carpet)?
Will the floor mat with 1/8 foam resolve the issue?
Thanks - Dave

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: Noise from the condo below me
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2001, 04:02:38 AM »
: I would like to know if your "mass loaded vinyl flooring with foam" would help resolve my noise issue.
: I own the first floor of a Townhouse with beautiful hardwood floors. The owners below me play their "Dolby surround sound system” when watching TV, movies or listening to music. The sound is clearly heard in my bedroom and living room. I have tried large area rugs and pads - but they have not helped very much.  I've been relegated to living/eating/sleeping in my den - the only place the sound is not heard - and I am tired of it. I do not want to rip up the existing flooring or lay another permanent floor over it.
: Will your "mass loaded vinyl flooring with foam” laid over the existing hardwood floor in the living room and bedroom help?
: If so, what are the layers I should consider (your floor map, carpet pad and carpet)?
: Will the floor mat with 1/8 foam resolve the issue?
: Thanks - Dave
Yes, it will.  The question is, how much will it take?  We had a lady who had vindictive neighbors who fastened their speakers to thier ceiling, pointed up toward her.  It took six layers to insulate her bedroom floor before she could get some sleep.
Do it in a series of steps, keeping in mind the floor must be covered wall to wall.  

anything