Author Topic: General Neighbor Noise  (Read 4586 times)

william

General Neighbor Noise
« on: July 30, 2004, 03:45:13 PM »
 >:(

I don't think young kids should be allowed in a condo association.  It should be for single people or two adults.  There also should be a common sense test before anyone is allowed to purchase a condo.  All of these issues come down to each neighbor not having respect for others.  It's terrible that each of us should have to spend countless hard earned money to prevent noise that is unneeded and could be prevented if our neighbors cared about us.  I live in an association with duplexes and there are new families that have recently moved in with literally a total of about 18 new kids.  The nice association is use to be, now looks like the projects.  It is terrible.  Four wheelers and dirtbikes are zooming up and down the road at all hours of the night......kids are yelling and screaming in the new "playground" that one of the families created for the kids.  The association does NOTHING to enforce the by-laws and it leaves me with the two choices.....either take out a loan to soundproof my condo, or Move.  Moving is not a choice with the prices of houses.  It is just not a reality at this point.

I would like to get some soundproof windows but I just am not sure where to go.  I don't want to use a "plug".  I want a permanent solution to this problem.  I need a rugged window that is made specifically for soundproofing.

boborther

Re: General Neighbor Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 09:55:31 PM »
William,

I would suggest your getting a Mil Gard  window, perhaps The Ultra series or something similar  @              www.milgard.com  Also, www.soundproofwindows.com has a very good product at competitive prices, you might want to look into those as well. Keep in mind that you want a window that is a 40 STC or better, and in the 40 range, the difference between a 40 STC and a 42 STC could double the price of the window, supposedly because the soundproofing is doubled.
I hope this helps you William and lastly, if you still want the light to enter the townhome but don't want to spend the  bucks on  Mil gard's or other permanant solutions, you might consider the Magnet Seal window insert. They are about 1/3 the price of new soundproof windows but they are easily installed and removed as they are on a magnetic track. They are approximately a 30 STC.
I hope this gives you some insight on which direction to follow.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Sue

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 11:56:31 PM »
 :-/I really sympathize with you and just want you to know that you are not alone in these kinds of problems. A person can have great neighbors one year and bad ones the next.  One can move to the "quiet" country and have a family with dirt bikes move next door.  It's just life I guess and part of this broken world.  

boborther

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »
Sue,

I really appreciate your comments about Condo and Townhome living conditions. It is an extremely integral part of the Soundproofing business. Now  I have never had children, but I have watched how today's parents raise them. If you ever need to see how your kids will turn out, simply look in the mirror. It's never wrong!
Well, I'm stepping down off the soapbox for now, suffice it to say, that even the experts are baffled, and yes I do live in a Condo. I figured you guy's were wondering. Thanks for the comments.

Bob O.
Senior Technical Advisor
The Super Soundproofing Co.
(888) 942-7723

Christopher W.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 01:53:08 AM »
FYI...........

I have purchased 4 of the Windows from the folks @ Soundproof Windows.com and let me tell you, they work.

They are quality windows and worth every penny when it comes to reducing noise.

It is just myself, my wife, and our inside dog. The noise that is generated in a community by people that do not take into account others is amazing. Community By-Laws are only as good as the Board that enforces or in reality does not enforce them.

Bob is 100% on the right track while he was on his Soap Box...............

When I can get to the point that I can buy 200 acres, break it up into 5 acre tracts and create a development called "QuietVille", I will post to this board and start taking applications for quiet considerate neighbors......... Beware, people that do not believe in community by-laws and the rights of others to quietly enjoy the home they work so hard to pay, for need not apply!

boborther

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 07:55:52 PM »
Chris,

It's nice to know my advice is appreciated Thanks.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther "Dr.Bob"
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times,
The San Francisco Herald Examiner, and The San Diego Union Tribune
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Anytime  (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!