Author Topic: building movable sound barriers  (Read 3758 times)

kris scott

building movable sound barriers
« on: August 06, 2004, 02:20:37 PM »
I am renting a home and am trying to soundproof the 2 car garage for a rehearsal space, but everything has to be completely removable, leave little to no trace, and if at all possible be something I could take with me and reconstruct at a new home. I know practically nothing about sound proofing, have some money to sink into the project, and am most concerned with effectiveness and mobility.
What I am considering is building many moveable wall sections (basically a frame of 2X4s with drywall on either end, and pyramid studio foam covering one side of the drywall) that can be connected side by side to form complete walls and create a room within the garage. Would this be effective, and if so would it be better to have these walls hollow, or filled with a dense insulator?

Band Bitch

Re: building movable sound barriers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 04:57:42 AM »
What I did was put up a lot of those things called "eggcrate" mattresses.  Took a small nailgun and just nailed them on the wall.  They dont' weigh much so you only have to put a couple of nails across the top.  The big problem was the metal garage door.  So, I got a ton of empty boxes, stacked them inside across the entire garage door (disabled the garage door opener and locked the door) then I put those mattresses across the boxes.  Pain in the ass, but no complaints from the neighbors.  Good luck

supersoundproofing

Re: building movable sound barriers
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:51:53 PM »
A better way to make removable partitions is to cut 4'X8' sheets of soundboard in half, hinge them in the middle and lay them on their sides as a "V" with the open part near and facing the sound.  Lining them with MLV (MAss Loaded Vinyl) will increase their weight, but make them much more effective.

They may be stacked and doubled up for better sound control, but bear in mind, sound is like water, it will try to find the path of least resistance, so these barriers are just to knock down very loud sound near the source and should not be depended upon to be  a solution.

BJ Nash Super soundproofing Co

anything